Analog Discovery 3 information

Anthocyanina

Question

so! there's what looks like an AD3 render on twitter and it says it's coming out in 2 weeks, but, will any information be available before that? price? will reviewers like signal path and eevblog be sent one to review? i'm very interested, particularly if things like sample memory and waveform update rate have been improved, perhaps voltage ranges too? something? would be really good to see it in action to be able to make an informed decision whenever funds enough to get one are available :P

10 answers to this question

We can't speak to everything yet, but here are a couple of pieces from the specs, and please let us know if you have more questions:

• Sample memory is improved by about 2x over the AD2, max 32 KiS internal storage per channel in various instruments, and the Scope can use 64 KiS with a single channel. Buffers can still be traded around between instruments depending on the device configuration, so the actual size depends on the selected configuration. There's a 7-series Xilinx FPGA inside instead of a Spartan 6.
  • The maximum sample rate can be increased to 125 MS/s from a default of 100. Connectivity is USB 2.0 over a USB-C® connector, so don't necessarily expect a drastic change in record mode maximum rates - it is still improved, I believe some folks internally have hit 10 MS/s on one channel to PC RAM with the scope.
  • Voltage ranges are the same 5 V peak-to-peak low range and 50 V peak-to-peak high range as the AD2, selected in the app depending on the range setting of the channel.

Thanks,

Arthur

will there be a page where you can compare all of the differences between the ad2 and ad3?

also, is there a reason to continue using usb2? why was it not updated to usb3 or higher and get better power delivery so the current would not get as limited. 

5 hours ago, artvvb said:

We can't speak to everything yet, but here are a couple of pieces from the specs, and please let us know if you have more questions:

• Sample memory is improved by about 2x over the AD2, max 32 KiS internal storage per channel in various instruments, and the Scope can use 64 KiS with a single channel. Buffers can still be traded around between instruments depending on the device configuration, so the actual size depends on the selected configuration. There's a 7-series Xilinx FPGA inside instead of a Spartan 6.
  • The maximum sample rate can be increased to 125 MS/s from a default of 100. Connectivity is USB 2.0 over a USB-C® connector, so don't necessarily expect a drastic change in record mode maximum rates - it is still improved, I believe some folks internally have hit 10 MS/s on one channel to PC RAM with the scope.
  • Voltage ranges are the same 5 V peak-to-peak low range and 50 V peak-to-peak high range as the AD2, selected in the app depending on the range setting of the channel.

Thanks,

Arthur

thanks for the information!

Hi @bean

USB SS (3) would probably have increased the price.

AD3 pros vs AD2
- USB-C, more power
- adjustable system frequency between 50-125MHz
- reference clock IO
- high precision trigger position, Scope and Logic Analyzer
- 2X and shared scope buffer, with one channel enabled provides 64Ki samples (4X)
- 2-4X buffer for the other instruments
- higher record rate, up to 10MHz with one channel
- 16 bit averaged scope sampling
- more Scope channels: Wavegen 'digital' output readback and FIR filter on scope inputs
- Wavegen: FM or phase modulation and AM or signal summing
- Scope to Wavegen in device routing, signal, AM/PM, FM/SUM
- DIO/Trig drive/slew adjustment
- more power for adjustable supplies
- supply voltage readback
- supplies can be used as 'slow' Wavegen channels from all configurations

I'd like a portable scope like AD3 but with more sample memory.  I'm coming from a Picoscope 4444 which has 256MS and although I don't need that much 64Ki seems too restrictive.  I'm willing to pay for more for a larger memory version.  Excited to eventually try Waveforms, seems polished and feature rich.

With the goal of having 64Ki samples I'm only ever able to see "32768 samples" on scope display with a single channel enabled and 2x32k config which I assume is what I would choose if trying to maximize sampling.  A peek at "Data" tab shows 32768 rows when single channel is enabled so I feel like I'm missing something ?

Sven

Edited by nurber3