FMC Pcam Adapter with Genesys2 board

Tparng

Question

I am try to test Xilinx MIPI CSI2 Rx Subsystem IP using FMC Pcam Adapter with Genesys2 FPGA board.  I have problems with high-speed data and clock signals.  While tracing the root cause, I found that the the high speed clock/data MIPI signals on FMC connector LA01_P, LA10_P, LA06_P are connected to Bank 16 of the XC7K325T-2FFG900 (FPGA chip on Genesys2)package pins D26, D29, and B27.  Unfortunately, Bank 16 is HR (not HP) bank and does not support internal termination and Genesys2 board does not have external termination resistors on these pins.  Without proper termination,  FMC Pcam Adapter + Pcams won't work reliable on Ge

4 answers to this question

The Genesys2 borrows heavily from the KC705 board design which uses the same FPGA device/package. 

For the XC7K325T FFG900 package all of the HP IO are on banks 32,33 and 34. The Genesy2 has a pretty capable DDR3 design which requires HP IO banks. For the 32-bit DQ design on the Genesys2 this doesn't leave many HP IO free, certainly not enough to populate a HPC FMC connector. So, what do you want... fast DDR performance or MIPI interfaces? Of course you want both.

FMC is not plug and play for FPGA boards. There are just too many devices and package options to design an FMC mezzanine board with high performance IO capability that will work with any FPGA carrier board having any device package.

Always check the schematics for your FPGA board and any FMC mezzanine card that you are considering purchasing for compatibility. This means working through schematics for both boards and finding problems. This can be a chore. I've been preaching this for years on Digilent's Forums. Still, because of the way that Digilent markets it's products there are posts of unhappy customers. Heed the 'reverend' Zygot's warnings brothers and sisters.

An FMC camera interface mezzanine card with an appropriate CSI/MIPI  PHY might be a solution for the Genesys2 ( or KC705 ).

The Genesys2 has an HDMI sink so this might be an alternate way to acquire camera data. I've done this with an SDI HD camera and an SDI to HDMI converter. The nice thing about this arrangement is that you can have the camera oriented in any direction regardless of how the Genesys2 is positioned. A few FPGA boards have SDI PHY interfaces (3G all the way up to 12G ) but these are not common.

Edited by zygot