Zybo Z1-10 memory usage and QspiFlash

engrpetero

Question

I'm using Vivado and Vitis for a project.  I'm nearing the end of the project but find myself lastly needing to use the Qspi flash to boot from as well as for some non-volatile storage.  This Zybo contains a 16 MiB Spansion flash and I've played with the example projects to interact with it.  A few questions...

1. How can I tell how much memory my boot image will take?  Is it as simple as looking at the boot image file size?
  2. Where is the boot image located when programmed into the QspiFlash (presumably I need to make sure I'm only writing/reading/erasing memory above this address for my non-volatile storage needs).

2 answers to this question

How can I tell how much memory my boot image will take?  Is it as simple as looking at the boot image file size?

Yes, boot image file size.

Where is the boot image located when programmed into the QspiFlash (presumably I need to make sure I'm only writing/reading/erasing memory above this address for my non-volatile storage needs).

The default offset from the flash base address used in the FSBL and flash programming wizard should be 0x0, referring to this Xilinx documentation.

If you create your own boot image with a BIF rather than relying on the autogenerated one, you might also be able to append additional files to the end of the image, if desired.

Thanks,

Arthur