Discovery 2 Board Using Trigger as Sampling Clock?

nad

Question

Hi everyone,

Recently, I got a Discovery 2 board. I'm trying to use it with an external trigger. (for its ADC)

I connected analog input to Ch1(+), and 0-3.3v clock square to T1. Then, I selected Source: Trigger 1. Trigger signal enables conversation but it doesn't control the sampling rate. I set both analog sinus input and clock square to the same frequency and expected to see a flat line, but I get the sinus wave in full waveform no matter what the trigger frequency is.

Also, I tried to select Trigger 1 as the sampling clock source on options, but it makes everything stop(with Source: Channel1 and Trigger1).

What should I do?

I took screenshots from demo mode to show the settings I used:

disco.PNG

Screenshot (2).png

5 answers to this question

Hi @nad

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

The capture trigger is on rising, falling or either edge of an internal or external signal, or more (pulse, transition) options are available for trigger on analog signals.
The sampling clock stores one sample for each of the trigger IO rising, falling or either edge.
Setting the same capture and sampling rising/falling condition it won't trigger the capture since the capture trigger won't notice any toggle on the trigger source.

The sample rate is adjusted automatically based on the Time Bange, except for Record mode.
The Rate can be adjust manually in the Time group revealed with the arrow and for Record mode also with the Config button.

If you are using sampling Clock the Rate is used as a reference for representation.

5 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @nad

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve.

The capture trigger is on rising, falling or either edge of an internal or external signal, or more (pulse, transition) options are available for trigger on analog signals.
The sampling clock stores one sample for each of the trigger IO rising, falling or either edge.
Setting the same capture and sampling rising/falling condition it won't trigger the capture since the capture trigger won't notice any toggle on the trigger source.

The sample rate is adjusted automatically based on the Time Bange, except for Record mode.
The Rate can be adjust manually in the Time group revealed with the arrow and for Record mode also with the Config button.

If you are using sampling Clock the Rate is used as a reference for representation.

I want to store one sample for each of the trigger rising edges of my second clock signal(external trigger signal). 

I set the sampling clock on Trigger 1(0-3.3V clock square signal connected) and selected "None" in (Auto-Normal-None) mode selection. But, still can't make it work. I also tried "Normal" with the source of "Channel 1" and "Trigger 1". 

On 5/22/2023 at 8:10 AM, attila said:

Hi @nad

Here a 1MHz Clock drives the Trigger 1 and 1kHz sine is on the Scope input.

image.png

Thank you so much!

It's working now, I was testing on "Normal" mode I guess it was the reason or I wasn't waiting enough to see samples(I used 10Hz sample frequency before).