KCU116 Kintex UltraScale+ No Devises Found issue

Arye

Question

We have 3 EVBs 
Two of them worked fine & currently started to give this error 
While on same pc the 3rd one is still working fine. 
What could be the issue and what could be the solution?    

We saw that this EVB uses Digilent USB JTAG2 NC IC, it seems that something not works fine on 2 among the 3 EVBs we have, on same PC.

It seems that if the J2 is connected to some FTDI, 
Maybe this FTDI need to be reprogramed? 
The working KCU116 EVB shows a USB FTDI driver on when observing the device manager of windows 10 

But the two that stopped to work fine and stopped from being connected don't show this FTDI driver, 
On same PC with windows 10.... 
Does it indicates that something happened to U21 on the KCU board? 
Is it FTDI? 
How can we reprogram its EEPROM if the FT prog not recognize any USB converter chip?

Please help us 

Arye 

2 answers to this question

Hi @Arye,

I am not certain why some of the boards are not being recognized rather than all of them unless either the drivers for those particular boards got reassigned or the EEPROM was changed (which shouldn't happen under normal conditions, but can very easily happen through applications such FTProg).

Do the two boards show up at all in the Windows Device Manager and are just not properly recognized, or does the operating system not detect the two boards at all?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi sorry I didn't see your response, only now. 

Now today, something happened to the 3rd kcu116 board

Now jtag not recognized by vivado and the USB device not seen appearing on windows device manager, when input us to J2, probobly U21 not gets somehow any data from us lines. 

When I plug USB to j164 which is USB to UART that communicate with U166 which is cp2105 chip, windows recognize it, but I don't see communication via boardUI software that is related to config the kcu116 evb.

I saw some garbage on the UART terminal but reading the version or other features was in successful via the boardUI. 

I was connected to the kcu evb via FMC connector to my board which got some touching of metal small connector and than suddenly the jtag on vivado disconnected and I could fix it any more, I just don't understand what could happen, some touch on other than kcu116 board that connected via FMC, could somehow damage to both USBs USB to UART and USB to jtag (your controller smp2 NC) what could happen and on the USB there is a tvs protection. 

Would be glad for your help.