PmodTMP2 not working

FPGA4Life

Question

Hello,

I have a Nexys A7-50T that includes the ADT7420 temperature sensor. I created a circuit using Verilog and successfully read the Celsius temperature data from the sensor and displayed it on 7-segment displays and LEDs.

I also have a Basys 3 and the PmodTMP2, which has the exact same sensor, the ADT7420, found on the Nexys A7 and uses the same I2C interface, and the default address 0x4B is exactly the same with jumpers J1 and J2 of the Pmod 'OPEN', which is how the PmodTMP2 comes in its package, which I very recently purchased from the Digilent store.

The same Verilog files were used, but with a different .XDC file tailored for the Basys 3 using Pmod JC to connect the PmodTMP2. The resulting value on the 7-segment display is 00 for the temperature. The circuit is working, and a value is being driven from the sensor on the Pmod, but the value is not correct. The PmodTMP2 has the same exact IC as on the Nexys A7, the only difference is the Nexys has dedicated pins connecting the Artix-7 to the ADT7420, whereas using the Basys 3 with PmodTMP2 the connection from Artix-7 to ADT7420 is through a Pmod connection. A circuit that works on the Nexys A7 should also work with the Basys 3/PmodTMP2 combo in all logical respects.

Why would the Basys 3/PmodTMP2 combo not be working properly and only showing a temperature of 00?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Hi @FPGA4Life,

You're correct that the Verilog design should work between the Nexy A7 and the Basys 3 for the same external module with only changes needed in the .xdc. Since you already checked the address pins match (which they do) this just leaves the physical connection between the module and the Basys 3.

In this case, (I don't see your code or physical setup) my guess is that the difference is that you are missing the pull-up resistors (which are included on the Nexys A7 circuitry, but not on the Pmod itself). To implement pull-ups on the Basys 3, you would model the .xdc pins as follows (the pins I'm posting below are almost certainly not the pins you are using on header JC):

set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN L18 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 PULLUP TRUE } [get_ports { scl }];
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN M18 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 PULLUP TRUE} [get_ports { sda }];

Let me know if you have any questions or if this change does not work (I'm guessing this is the root of the problem rather than the 7-segment display being the issue) so we can debug further.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you JColvin for helping me to solve this problem. Below is what I put in the .xdc based on your port modeling recommendation. I did alter the top module and any necessary signals therein to reflect the ports name changes.

The commented lines are the original port declarations from the Basys 3 master xdc and show the correct Artix-7 pin# for use with PmodTMP2 on JC.

##Pmod Header JC
##Sch name = JC3
#set_property PACKAGE_PIN N17      [get_ports {TMP_SCL}]                    
#set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {TMP_SCL}]
set_property -dict{PACKAGE_PIN N17 LVCMOS33 PULLUP TRUE}[get_ports {scl}];         # line 59
##Sch name = JC4
#set_property PACKAGE_PIN P18      [get_ports {TMP_SDA}]                    
#set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {TMP_SDA}]
set_property -dict{PACKAGE_PIN P18 LVCMOS33 PULLUP TRUE}[get_ports {sda}];        # line 63

The results are:

Synthesis runs OK.

Implementation runs OK.

Generate Bitstream not so much.

Below are the error messages. First 2 are "Critical Warnings", and last 2 are "Errors".

[Common 17-170] Unknown option '-dict{PACKAGE_PIN', please type 'set_property -help' for usage info. ["C:/Users/david/FPGA_Vivado_Designs/Temp_Sensor_Basys3_PmodTMP2/Temp_Sensor_Basys3_PmodTMP2.srcs/constrs_1/new/const_temp_sensor.xdc":59]
[Common 17-170] Unknown option '-dict{PACKAGE_PIN', please type 'set_property -help' for usage info. ["C:/Users/david/FPGA_Vivado_Designs/Temp_Sensor_Basys3_PmodTMP2/Temp_Sensor_Basys3_PmodTMP2.srcs/constrs_1/new/const_temp_sensor.xdc":63]

[DRC NSTD-1] Unspecified I/O Standard: 2 out of 23 logical ports use I/O standard (IOSTANDARD) value 'DEFAULT', instead of a user assigned specific value. This may cause I/O contention or incompatibility with the board power or connectivity affecting performance, signal integrity or in extreme cases cause damage to the device or the components to which it is connected. To correct this violation, specify all I/O standards. This design will fail to generate a bitstream unless all logical ports have a user specified I/O standard value defined. To allow bitstream creation with unspecified I/O standard values (not recommended), use this command: set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks NSTD-1].  NOTE: When using the Vivado Runs infrastructure (e.g. launch_runs Tcl command), add this command to a .tcl file and add that file as a pre-hook for write_bitstream step for the implementation run. Problem ports: scl, and sda.

[DRC UCIO-1] Unconstrained Logical Port: 2 out of 23 logical ports have no user assigned specific location constraint (LOC). This may cause I/O contention or incompatibility with the board power or connectivity affecting performance, signal integrity or in extreme cases cause damage to the device or the components to which it is connected. To correct this violation, specify all pin locations. This design will fail to generate a bitstream unless all logical ports have a user specified site LOC constraint defined.  To allow bitstream creation with unspecified pin locations (not recommended), use this command: set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks UCIO-1].  NOTE: When using the Vivado Runs infrastructure (e.g. launch_runs Tcl command), add this command to a .tcl file and add that file as a pre-hook for write_bitstream step for the implementation run.  Problem ports: scl, and sda.

Hi @FPGA4Life,

The first message is because you forgot to put a space between -dict and the opening curly bracket.

The last two messages are because you are using the pin names (or nicknames if you prefer) that I had provided, rather than the "TMP_SCL" and "TMP_SDA" that you actually used in your design (and .xdc lines).

The -dict option followed by the curly brackets is also a way to let you define multiple parameters for the same FPGA pin such as location, I/O standard, and pullup/pulldown status. This is so you don't have to have additional redundant lines in your .xdc file (and hopefully leaves less room for error if you aren't defining things multiple times).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

I changed the code in the .xdc based on your recommendations of putting the space between -dict and the first curly bracket, and also naming the ports based on my Verilog port definitions as shown below:

module top(
    input         clk_100MHz,       // basys clk signal
    input         reset,                  // btnC on basys
    inout         TMP_SDA,          // i2c sda on temp sensor - bidirectional
    output        TMP_SCL,         // i2c scl on temp sensor
    output [0:6]  SEG,               // 7 segments of each display
    output [3:0]  AN,                // 4 anodes of 4 displays
    output [7:0]  LED                // basys leds = binary temp in deg C
    );

##Pmod Header JC
##Sch name = JC3
#set_property PACKAGE_PIN N17      [get_ports {TMP_SCL}]                    
#set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {TMP_SCL}]
set_property -dict {PACKAGE_PIN N17 LVCMOS33 PULLUP TRUE}[get_ports {TMP_SCL}];
##Sch name = JC4
#set_property PACKAGE_PIN P18      [get_ports {TMP_SDA}]                    
#set_property IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 [get_ports {TMP_SDA}]
set_property -dict {PACKAGE_PIN P18 LVCMOS33 PULLUP TRUE}[get_ports {TMP_SCL}];

And,

Synthesis runs OK.

Implementation runs OK.

Bitstream Generation not so much. The following are the critical warnings and errors generated:

[Designutils 20-970] Unrecognized or unsupported command 'set_property -dict {PACKAGE_PIN P18 LVCMOS33 PULLUP TRUE}[get_ports {TMP_SCL}];' found in constraint file. ["C:/Users/david/FPGA_Vivado_Designs/Temp_Sensor_Basys3_PmodTMP2/Temp_Sensor_Basys3_PmodTMP2.srcs/constrs_1/new/const_temp_sensor.xdc":63]

[DRC NSTD-1] Unspecified I/O Standard: 2 out of 23 logical ports use I/O standard (IOSTANDARD) value 'DEFAULT', instead of a user assigned specific value. This may cause I/O contention or incompatibility with the board power or connectivity affecting performance, signal integrity or in extreme cases cause damage to the device or the components to which it is connected. To correct this violation, specify all I/O standards. This design will fail to generate a bitstream unless all logical ports have a user specified I/O standard value defined. To allow bitstream creation with unspecified I/O standard values (not recommended), use this command: set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks NSTD-1]. NOTE: When using the Vivado Runs infrastructure (e.g. launch_runs Tcl command), add this command to a .tcl file and add that file as a pre-hook for write_bitstream step for the implementation run. Problem ports: TMP_SCL, and TMP_SDA.

[DRC UCIO-1] Unconstrained Logical Port: 2 out of 23 logical ports have no user assigned specific location constraint (LOC). This may cause I/O contention or incompatibility with the board power or connectivity affecting performance, signal integrity or in extreme cases cause damage to the device or the components to which it is connected. To correct this violation, specify all pin locations. This design will fail to generate a bitstream unless all logical ports have a user specified site LOC constraint defined. To allow bitstream creation with unspecified pin locations (not recommended), use this command: set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks UCIO-1]. NOTE: When using the Vivado Runs infrastructure (e.g. launch_runs Tcl command), add this command to a .tcl file and add that file as a pre-hook for write_bitstream step for the implementation run. Problem ports: TMP_SCL, and TMP_SDA.

Thank you JColvin for helping with this. Please, advise as to what to do next.

Hi @FPGA4Life

There are still missing spaces in the constraints, at least between the end of the dicts' "}" character and the start of the get ports call's "[", in addition to missing the IOSTANDARD keys.

set_property -dict {PACKAGE_PIN P18 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 PULLUP TRUE} [get_ports {TMP_SCL}];

XDC files use a subset of the syntax of the TCL language. set_property is a command with space-separated arguments, so every missing space "clumps together" several arguments, concatenating them, and making it so that Vivado treats them as only one (incorrect) argument. Similarly, the dict argument groups a bunch of individual settings together, and the curly brackets are there to make everything inside of them a string, so that the interpreter doesn't treat spaces within the brackets as delimiting arguments. This string must be made up of key-value pairs, the command sets the PACKAGE_PIN property to P18, the IOSTANDARD property to LVCMOS33, and so on. Having five elements in the dict breaks this.

Refer to UG903's About XDC Constraints section for more info.

Thanks,

Arthur