Beginner Ethernet project issues

robb

Question

Hello 

I am working with the Arty-Z7-10 FPGA. My software I am using is Xilinx Vivado. However, there is no Ethernet in this constraint file.
The constraint file for my board: digilent-xdc/Arty-Z7-10-Master.xdc at master · Digilent/digilent-xdc · GitHub 

There are not many tutorials or information out there for working with Ethernet and this FPGA. I would like for my board to receive signals and react accordingly, namely turning on an led after successfully receiving a certain frequency or signal from an external source. 

Completion of this project will help me move forward with transmitting and receiving signals via an fpga. I did the XAD demo but I don't know if that could apply to this.

Thanks 

2 answers to this question

Hi robb,

The ethernet interface on the Arty Z7 is connected to a hard ethernet controller in the Zynq PS, rather than the PL, so you won't find it in the constraints. Creating an IPI design, adding the Zynq PS, and configuring it with the default preset from the board files will enable the interface. Digilent doesn't currently have much in the way of dedicated ethernet examples for this board, but you may have luck looking into various "Getting started with Zynq servers" guides, or at some threads on this forum on the topic.

These materials are fairly old, but ought to get you moving in the right direction.

Thanks,

Arthur

On 3/29/2023 at 6:44 PM, artvvb said:

Hi robb,

The ethernet interface on the Arty Z7 is connected to a hard ethernet controller in the Zynq PS, rather than the PL, so you won't find it in the constraints. Creating an IPI design, adding the Zynq PS, and configuring it with the default preset from the board files will enable the interface. Digilent doesn't currently have much in the way of dedicated ethernet examples for this board, but you may have luck looking into various "Getting started with Zynq servers" guides, or at some threads on this forum on the topic.

These materials are fairly old, but ought to get you moving in the right direction.

Thanks,

Arthur

I will do my best thanks