NetFPGA connection does not work in Vivado 2022.2 version.

user

Question

1 answer to this question

I connected NetFPGA and PC through PCI, and the OS is Ubuntu.

PCIe on a FPGA card that isn't configured with a working design that uses the FPGA PCIe block isn't functional.

To connect your board with VIvado Hardware Manager you need to use the USB PROG JTAG connection. 

When you power on your PC the NetFPGA has to be powered and configured while the motherboard BIOS is identifying PCIe cards in the system and well before Ubuntu gets up and running. This can be a problem. It might be possible to configure an FPGA from FLASH after the power supply is stable and before the BIOS is running but this is not always the case.

I use the NetFPGA with a ODYSSEY X86J4105 and a PCIe to M.2 adapter cable, and power the NetFPGA from an external power supply rather than the PCIe power pins. So, for me I boot the ODYSSEY into Ubuntu 18.04 and work on my FPGA development. When I have a suitable bitstream I can configure the FPGA and re-boot the ODYSSEY while the NetFPGA board stays powered on and the PCIe interface is working. It's not pretty, but it works. I do not know if the NetFPGA FLASH can configure the FPGA fast enough to be active after the ODYSSEY gets powered and the BIOS is determining that the NetFPGA has a functional PCIe interface. Re-writing the FLASH prior to every FPGA configuration isn't something that I want ot do anyway.

Edited by zygot