Use Impedance Analyser for battery SoH testing

Wouter

Question

Hi,

We've been looking for hardware to measure the impedance of batteries at different frequencies automatically so we can estimate the state of health.  The AD2's Impedance Analyser seems like a really great fit. This is a common application for impedance measurement, so I would have expected to find some references to people using the AD2 Impedance Analyser for this purpose before. However, I cannot find any reference on the forum or on Google.

Is there a limitation that we overlooked or has anyone used the extension for this purpose before?

Thank you,

Wouter

2 answers to this question

Hi @Wouter,

I do not see any reason why it would not work as you intend. You could also use just the Analog Discovery 2 without the Impedance Analyzer Adapter though you would need to find your own reference resistors (the adapter uses 0.1% reference resistors).

The only potential drawback I can see is that (from my online searching) is that since batteries can have single digit ohm impedance, the reference resistor might be as high as an order of magnitude larger than the battery impedance, though I'm uncertain of how big of an impact that might be on the measurement side of things.

Thanks,
JColvin