Pmod AD1 IP on cora-Z7-10

K.K

Question

I'm trying to get Pmod AD1 working with Cora-Z7-10. However, Generate Bitstream fails with the error code below. When I checked the forum, it seems that the cause is that the IP core update has stopped.Is there a sample program that uses GPIO instead? Also, is there any other way to deal with it? Thank you.

[DRC NSTD-1] Unspecified I/O Standard: 8 out of 138 logical ports use I/O standard (IOSTANDARD) value 'DEFAULT', instead of a user assigned specific value. board power or connectivity affecting performance, signal integrity or in extreme cases cause damage to the device or the components to which it is connected. To correct this violation, specify all I/O standards. This design will fail to generate a bitstream unless all logical ports have a user specified I/O standard value defined. To allow bitstream creation with unspecified I/O standard values (not recommended), use this command: set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks NSTD-1]. NOTE: When using the Vivado Runs infrastructure (e.g. launch_runs Tcl command), add this command to a .tcl file and add that file as a pre-hook for write_bitstream step for the implementation run. _io, and ja_pin9_io.
[DRC UCIO-1] Unconstrained Logical Port: 8 out of 138 logical ports have no user assigned specific location constraint (LOC). This may cause I/O contention or incompatibility with the board power or connectivity affecting performance, signal integrity or in extreme cases cause damage to the device or the components to which it is connected. To correct this violation, specify all pin locations. This design will fail to generate a bitstream unless all logical ports have a user specified site LOC constraint defined. with unspecified pin locations (not recommended), use this command: set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks UCIO-1]. NOTE: When using the Vivado Runs infrastructure (e.g. launch_runs Tcl command), add this command to a .tcl file and add that file as a pre-hook for write_bitstream step for the implementation run. Problem ports: ja_pin10_io, ja_pin1_io, ja_pin2_io, ja_pin3_io, ja_pin4_io, ja_pin7_io, ja_pin8_io, and ja_pin9_io.
[Vivado 12-1345] Error(s) found during DRC. Bitgen not run.

2 answers to this question

Hi @K.K

Whether the IPs work depends on which version of Vivado you're in. At least in 2021.1, it looks like you can just make the Pmod_out port of the IP external and manually create some constraints for it (like below) and get a bitstream, rather than using the board tab automation. The latest vivado-library sources still get the drivers into Vitis, and are compilable, but this hasn't been tested with many recent versions of the tools.

# Pmod Header JB
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN W14   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { Pmod_out_0_pin1_io }]; #IO_L8P_T1_34 Sch=jb_p[1]
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN Y14   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { Pmod_out_0_pin2_io }]; #IO_L8N_T1_34 Sch=jb_n[1]
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN T11   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { Pmod_out_0_pin3_io }]; #IO_L1P_T0_34 Sch=jb_p[2]
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN T10   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { Pmod_out_0_pin4_io }]; #IO_L1N_T0_34 Sch=jb_n[2]
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN V16   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { Pmod_out_0_pin7_io }]; #IO_L18P_T2_34 Sch=jb_p[3]
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN W16   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { Pmod_out_0_pin8_io }]; #IO_L18N_T2_34 Sch=jb_n[3]
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN V12   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { Pmod_out_0_pin9_io }]; #IO_L4P_T0_34 Sch=jb_p[4]
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN W13   IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { Pmod_out_0_pin10_io }]; #IO_L4N_T0_34 Sch=jb_n[4]

Additionally, at least in the case of this specific Pmod, you can pull sources out of the IP core to use them separately in a design. The modules copied out can be added to a block design through the "Add Module" function and wired up - still need to make ports external and manually write constraints.

Thanks,

Arthur

image.pngimage.png