VB8012 in WaveForms SDK and LabVIEW VIs

joeg

Question

Greetings,

I have an old VB8012. NI has stopped supporting it. Digilent's ADP5250 appears to be the next incarnation of the hardware and is mostly compatible.

How do I get the VB8012 to work in WaveForms? Currently, it says it cannot connect to the IP address (ERC: 3061, Host unreachable), though it can find it using the Device Manager: Gear->List ADP5000 action:

Devices: 1 str:16
1: "VB8012-306CD7F" B2D17745-A779-5B1B-8F1C-17E3D6A8D45A
  flags:0350 sn:306CD7F product:30454 tcp:10.0.0.136:9090 fw:18.0.0f0

And it is connected via USB. The Windows Device Manager shows the Digilent driver being used to identify the NI VB-8012 Interface 1,2,3,4 of 4.

What did I miss?

Cheers,
Joe

2 answers to this question

@attila thank you for writing back.

It appears that a regression has occurred in WaveForms between 3.18.30 and 3.18.36 which causes the VB8012 to not be recognized using the USB connection.

Ethernet does not work in either case. I do see sshd on 9090, though it errors with the following which is usually associated with a ssh directory/file permissions issue:

kex_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host

I would be happy to look into the matter and submit a PR, though it appears that this is not open source.

While the VB8012 is not officially supported, I believe it would be a small kindness here to help us continue to limp along with our ancient hardware that is no longer supported even by NI. If there were a way to offload the work I would be happy to help.

Cheers,
Joe

P.S. After writing this, the story of Richard Stallman and his proprietary printer experience come to mind. The closed architecture printer foiled a straightforward tech task and thus began Stallman's crusade. At this point, after having seen so many beautiful electronic tools become obsolete because their interfaces are unsupported seems oddly ironic. A tool for electronics can't talk to computers anymore because you can't get the closed source software that was used to originally talk to you and it. Not good. Perhaps we can do better.