Arty Z7-10 Power supply issue

JConwa

Question

I just received an Arty and it has been working when plugged in with USB.  The ship with demo would work when I plugged it in.  It would operate the lights with the switches, would pass through the HDMI, and it would play a song on button press, and print out a serial message with a power cycle.  I switched the jumper from USB to REG, plugged in a 2.1mm 12VDC, center positive,  2.0Amp capacity wall wart, and now the only LED that turns on is LD13.  Even if I switch it back to USB, it doesn't boot up.  The serial port still shows up on device manager, but power cycling does result in a message.  Did something burn out?  Can I get a RMA to exchange it?

2 answers to this question

Hi @JConwa,

To confirm, when you are attempting to use the regulated power from the external 12 V supply (or powering over USB again), is JP4 still set to QSPI so that the device is attempting to load the out of box demo from flash memory (as opposed to set to JTAG where the SoC expects a new design to be loaded)? Additionally, sometimes flash memory can take a bit of time to load the design depending on how it was configured (realistically not much more than 5 seconds at most though).

What kind of message are you seeing when you power cycle?

Thanks,
JColvin