Cmod A7-35T: Breadboardable Artix-7 FPGA Module; Revisions and status regarding USB issues

ThomasDet

Question

Dear Digilent-Team,

I am interested in the “Cmod A7-35T: Breadboardable Artix-7 FPGA Module” – SKU 410-328-35.

If suitable, I estimate to require ~10-30 boards in the next 1-4 years.

I have read a lot in forums, but could not conclude about following questions:

The board seems to be had issues with the USB connection. Once Digilent suggested an additional capacitor to make it more stable. Further I can see, that there have been revisions on the schematic. Unfortunately, I can’t see if there were changes to stabilize the USB connection as this sheet is intentionally left blank in the schematics pdf.

1) So, what is the status of current boards. Had there been a fix for the issue or does the problem still exists? If there had been a fix, what is the part number or revision I am looking for?

2) What is the expected end of life date for this product. As indicated, I may need some over the next few years.

Best regards & thanks,

Thomas

2 answers to this question

Hi @ThomasDet,

The Cmod A7 35T connectivity should be resolved; the boards were all reworked with the additional capacitor several years ago (should be Rev C which was released in 2019 or so), so there should not be any further issues on that particular front (charging only USB cables can still be a problem though).

As for the life cycle of the Cmod A7 35T, I asked the director for hardware R&D about this and they let me know that they do not have any intention to EOL it at this point in time. (but of course if some critical component that it uses gets EOL'd unexpectedly in 18 months, then intentions might change). I'm sorry that the answer is not more concrete.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

thanks a lot, that fully answers my questions.

For the first question I recognized this morning, that I overlooked the following post - even with details on the change (for the case that somebody else is interested).

Best regards & thanks,

Thomas