Cmod A7 No COM Port

Trainmaster2

Question

I've just gotten my Cmod A7 35T and followed this Xilinx tutorial. I have experience in Vivado and Xilinx FPGAs, but none in Vitis or with Microblaze. I am able to program the board with both Vivado and Vitis, as well as debug in Vitis, but I don't seem to be getting a COM port for the board. Any ideas?

Also, I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I can't program the board twice in a row with Vitis. "Run as..." #1 will work, #2 will fail, and then #3 will work without doing any changes in the middle. Same goes if I do "Debug as..." instead.

3 answers to this question

Hi @Trainmaster2,

That's curious to me that you are able to able to both configure and debug the board, but are not getting a COM port (presumably for UART communications). When you look at the Windows Device Manager under the Universal Serial Bus controllers dropdown, what does the Cmod A7 35T show up as? It should show up as USB Serial Converter A and USB Serial Converter B, both with a "Bus Reported Device description" of Digilent USB Device (or similar) in the Details tab of their Properties.

Do you get any particular error pop up when you attempt to program the board twice in a row with Vitis?

Thanks,
JColvin

P.S. That's actually a Digilent tutorial rather than a Xilinx tutorial.

On 1/17/2023 at 4:56 PM, JColvin said:

When you look at the Windows Device Manager under the Universal Serial Bus controllers dropdown, what does the Cmod A7 35T show up as? It should show up as USB Serial Converter A and USB Serial Converter B, both with a "Bus Reported Device description" of Digilent USB Device (or similar) in the Details tab of their Properties.

I see exactly what you describe. The "Bus Reported device description" for both of them is "Digilent Adept USB Device"

On 1/17/2023 at 4:56 PM, JColvin said:

P.S. That's actually a Digilent tutorial rather than a Xilinx tutorial.

Whoops. My bad.

Hi @Trainmaster2,

I apologize for the delay. The board is able to be programmed (though perhaps inconsistently? I got the error you described once when programming a different board, but then was not able to replicate it) and has the correct driver information from what you are describing.

I'm guessing when you connect the board a new COM port does not appear in it's associated dropdown? Or how are you determining that there does not appear to be a COM port for the board (i.e. not appearing in the Windows Device Manager, or can't get a serial terminal application like TeraTerm to connect, or something else?)

Thanks,
JColvin