ARTY-S7-50 - Power problem

Golan Asher Audiopixels

Question

Hi,

I have two cards of ARTY-S7-50 Rev B.

I can not power up these cards when I connect power supply of 12v 3A to J12.

I can power up these cards, when I connect USB cable to J10 (Micro USB Plug on card), but I want to use J12 with using power supply of 12v for power up.

The same power supply of 12v, 3A I am using for other card successively, ARRY-S7-50 Rev E. So I suppose the problem is not the power supply, but the card Rev B.

I tried 3 options with Jumper JP13: REG, USB and without Jumper. With all 3 these options, I did not succeeded to power up my cards, Rev B.

Attach pitchers of one of my Rev B cards.

Can you suggest a solution to that problem ? 

ARTY-S7_Rev_B_Bot.jpeg

ARTY-S7_Rev_B_Top.jpeg

1 answer to this question

Hi @Golan Asher Audiopixels,

I'm inclined to agree that the external regulator you have is operating correctly and providing the nominal 12 V if you are able to power the Rev E using it (or at least I am presuming you do not also have a USB cable attached to the Rev E to determine if it is receiving power correctly, as well as having correct JP13 setting, which in this case should be the REG setting). The design engineer was not aware of any potential drastic issues if you switched the jumper while the power supply was connected (unless you switched it very quickly, but I'd like to think this was not the case).

If the above is true, the honest answer is that there is some sort of hardware failure, likely in the 5 V regulator since you indicated that the boards still power up over the USB connection. You can verify if the 5 V regulator is the culprit on the Arty S7 Rev B by removing the jumper on JP13, attaching the external 12 V power supply, and then measuring the voltage on the regulator pin associated with that jump (should be the square pin 1 on that jumper).

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin