Operating temperature of JTAG HS3

JColvin

Question

A customer on our website asked the following question:

Hi,
Could you explain me how the maximum operating temperature of the JTAG-HS3 cable was set? Was is done from an analysis or from an in-situ test with a oven? (We would like to use it at a slightly higher temperature.)
Best regards,

The response is below.

2 answers to this question

Hello,

The maximum operating temperature, which is 70 degree Celsius was set by the maximum operating temperature of the components, given by the manufacturer. It may work, but it depends on which temperature do you want to use it. What does it mean slightly higher? My concern here is about the plastic. The material covering the PCB is termosensitive and will shrink on the PCB, also the header might deform. We did not test the JTAG-HS3 in the climate room. I personally tested other programmer that we have, at 80 degrees Celsius and the JTAG works fine and respects the JTAG specs. The only observation here is that we had only the PCB, not plastics covering them. We used some supports made of plastic and they started to deform causing the failure of the board. Once we removed them, it was ok.

Other think that you might encounter if you use it at higher temperature is premature aging of the components. You can try use it, but we don't guarantee anything below and above the maximum ratings we gave in the reference manual.

Best regards,

Bianca

Archived