PowerBRICKS ripple

BryanP

Question

5 answers to this question

On 1/13/2023 at 4:54 AM, JColvin said:

Hi @BryanP,

Not as of yet; I reached back out to them since they had just recently gotten back from their own winter holidays break and learned that they have had too many other higher priority projects to get the opportunity to look into this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin, completely forgot about this and likely you did as well, but is there any update on this, it has been over a year since I asked? :)

Thanks.

Hi @BryanP,

Yes, I had actually gotten a reply the next day, but clearly forgot to inform you of the response. As an upfront detail, the engineer was not able to locate any validation documents on the PowerBRICKs themselves, so this is what they would expected based on the topology:

[1/13/23 12:37 AM]

Hi James, the best I could do was to look up the controller IC datasheets and see the typical measurements presented in there.

These power supplies are all asynchronous, they have a diode as second switch; therefore all will operate in discontinuous conduction below a certain load current threshold. In these cases the ripple will be larger since the supply is skipping cycles.

According to the datasheets and to the larger theoretical ripple on boost and buck-boost converters, I would say that the customer can expect something between 10mV and 20mV typical ripple + the AC noise caused by the load steps.

The PowerBRICK schematics are not available (not my choice), so I'm not able to provide any additional information beyond this. If I can find the original Word document, I'll see if I can get this information added into the Reference Manual (or create a reference manual on the Reference site that is akin to other existing reference manuals, presuming that I get some time to dig into this and also not forget for a year).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
JColvin