Is the Analog Discovery Pro (ADP5250) a direct replacement for the NI Virtual Bench VB-8012 ?

Howard Staggs

Question

Is the Analog Discovery Pro (ADP5250) a direct replacement for the NI Virtual Bench VB-8012 ?Are Software Driver Commands the same as the VB-8012? Does Digilent plan to continue mfg of this product over the next 5 years? Is current pricing changing. Is there a migration path to expand line? Currently we order a number of the VB-8012's per year, so we need to understand if change in course on Test Bench strategies is warranted. We would not migrate to a PXI or NI-DAQ approach.

9 answers to this question

Hi @Howard Staggs,

I have asked about the current life cycle plan for the ADP5250 and will get back to you when I receive an answer.

With regards to software drivers, in general the same VirtualBench driver for the VB-8012 can be used with the ADP5250, though a DLL will need to be replaced as explained in this post:

Otherwise, from what I have been told from our design engineers, with the exception of the disabled WiFi module, no changes have been made between the VB-8012 and the ADP5250.

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi @Howard Staggs,

I heard back with regards to your inquiry on the life cycle timeline. I was assured that "we expect the Digilent version of the VB-8012 to outlive the NI version and that more definitive information should be available early next year."

Unfortunately, this of course does not address the multi year timeline question despite me specifically asking about it (meaning that Digilent is not able to promise that we will continue manufacturing the ADP5250 for at least the next 5 years).

Thank you,
JColvin

1. The Software Driver response was targeted at LabVIEW VIs. We use Python for the Test Development platform.

Can I assume there is no driver change using Python?

2. On the migration, I was referring to Digilent. Right now, NI directly has 2 more higher end Models VB-8034 and VB-8054.

Does Digilent has a similiar path, or just focused manufacturing of the ADP5250 (we have only a few of the VB-8034).

3. As far as the 5 year timeline question, just need to understand when we need to start pulling anchors and sail another direction or hold a steady course.

Hi @Howard Staggs,

1. That is my understanding yes, there would be no driver change in terms of using Python.

2. Digilent does not have a direct migration path per se, partially because Digilent does not currently have any Test and Measurement devices that are more higher end than the ADP5250. Of course, Digilent is working on developing more products, but we do not have anything to announce (or tease) at this point in time.

3. I understand if the vagueness (not my choice, though I couldn't offer better even I wanted to) of needing to wait two weeks or two months to find out information is not feasible in your situation. I'll post back here on this thread of what I learn regardless of what you decide if only to update other readers of this thread -- hopefully sooner rather than later in the "early next year" time frame.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @Howard Staggs (and others reading this thread),

I got an official update from the R&D Hardware Director that Digilent will continue to have the ADP5250 available for the next few years (as opposed to being directly tied to the state of NI's VirtualBench line) so it can be safely migrated to and not have it disappear in two or three years.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 12/12/2022 at 12:34 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @Howard Staggs,

I have asked about the current life cycle plan for the ADP5250 and will get back to you when I receive an answer.

With regards to software drivers, in general the same VirtualBench driver for the VB-8012 can be used with the ADP5250, though a DLL will need to be replaced as explained in this post:

Otherwise, from what I have been told from our design engineers, with the exception of the disabled WiFi module, no changes have been made between the VB-8012 and the ADP5250.

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi, I tried the patch above to try to get VB8012 to appear in WaveForms, but it does not work. FWIW, the linked post appears to be for getting ADP5250 devices to work in LabVIEW and the C API.