Question about downloading and opening ULx with LabVIEW

johannrapp

Question

Hi,

I recently transferred a LabVIEW code from a different computer onto mine which required me to install and download ULx. I followed the instructions on the website downloaded ULx and installed on my laptop. When I run my LabVIEW code, the program cannot find where ULx was downloaded to in order for the code to operate and open.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

johann

7 answers to this question

The ULx LabVIEW support is installed directly into your LabVIEW installation for example:

\National Instruments\Shared\ULx\

\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2022\Examples\ULx\

\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2022\vi.lib\ULx\

\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2022\LabVIEW 2022\Resource\objmgr\ 

If the two installations are the same, there shouldn't be a problem. A LabVIEW project does saves the path and version for each file. If one copy is 32-bit LabVIEW and the other 64-bit LabVIEW, the paths will be different but this should generate only a warning not an error.

Best regards,
John

Thank you. I have checked those file paths but cannot seem to find an application or link that I can direct LabVIEW towards. Within \National INstruments\Shared\ULx it opens to two files either browse or filter, which have ULx programs within them but not the ones the LabVIEW program is searching for. For the rest of file paths you have outlined, there are no files to be found past LabView 2022. I have attached a picture of what appears when I try to run my LabVIEW code. 

Screenshot 2022-11-10 173852.png

The VI is buried inside the Create Channel.llb (labview library), which in \Program Files\NI\LabVIEW 2022\VI.LIB\. If you have LabVIEW open it, you will see the VI and others.

It would appear you have 64-bit LabVIEW and the install folder is NI. Could you verify you have the following ULx folders?

\Program Files\NI\Shared\ULx\

\Program Files\NI\LabVIEW 2022\Examples\ULx\

\Program Files\NI\LabVIEW 2022\vi.lib\ULx\

What is the install folder name on the other computer?

Thanks

John

Hey John,

When I follow the file path \Program Files\NI\LabVIEW 2022\VI.LIB\ I can only make it to \Program Files\NI before the file path on my end deviates from what you have suggested. I get ot a file path of \Program Files\NI\LVAddons. Since that is the file path that appears on my end I do not see any of the other suggest file paths for the ULx folders. I am also not sure what you mean by the install folder name on the other computer.

Hello,

When LabVIEW is installed on a PC, it usually creates two folders C:\Program Files\National Instruments\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\ and these are sometimes called the install or installation folder. If you have the 32-bit Community(free) version is installed, it will be in C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments. This is how it is on my Windows 10 and Windows 11 PC's. 

LabVIEW offers various packages from the free Community Edition to the expensive kitchen sink version. My suggestion is to install LabVIEW Community Edition then install our ULx for LabVIEW from the very newest MCC DAQ Software CD 6.74. ULx for LabVIEW relies on the device recognized by the InstaCal program, so you'll need it too.  If you place your VI program inside our Examples folder, it should find everything. The examples folder is C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2022\Examples\ULx.

With all the above said, part of  me is thinking that you created a LabVIEW installation for your VI program and you used it to install the program on this computer. If this is the case, you'll want to take a look at the following article about making a ULx for LabVIEW installation. https://kb.mccdaq.com/KnowledgebaseArticle50609.aspx Don't worry about version because I recently tested it with LabVIEW 2021 and it pretty much the same.

Best regards,
John

Hey John,

I see the C:\Program Files\National Instruments\ and C:\Program Files (x86)\National Instruments\ file paths. I am a university student so I was able to get LabVIEW for free and am currently using a 40 day license for the software. Would I need to download the full version to have LabVIEW up and running in order to access ULx and InstaCal. Is it worth uninstalling LabVIEW, ULx and any other related software?

Johann

Hi Johann,

Try using the LabVIEW installation you currently have. I don't know which device you have but I do suggest testing it with one of our examples. The examples are located in ..\LabVIEW 2022\Examples\ULx\ There are separate folders for analog in, analog out, digital and counter. The examples are bundled up in LLB libraries.  Locate the Measurement Computing programs folder found in the start menu. Under Measurement Computing the is a ULx for LabVIEW Help to get you started.

Best regards,
John