How to flash a microblaze app to Arty S7-25 Quad SPI flash?

dooglas77

Question

Hi, I'm following a couple different tutorials on flashing my microblaze application to the Arty S7-25 board's Quad SPI flash. They all follow the same basic steps as this one: https://community.element14.com/technologies/fpga-group/b/blog/posts/arty-s7-50-how-to-store-microblaze-program-in-the-quad-spi-flash-memory-from-vivado. Basically generate the bitstream from Vivado with a BIN file also being generated and compressed. Then import into Vitis to create a software application. Build the application in Vitis as an ELF file. Back in Vivado, set the ELF file as a constraint file for the Microblaze IP. Then regenerate the bitstream in Vivado. Program the Arty S7 board from Vivado using the newly generated BIN file. Now the board should automatically boot the Vitis application. On my side of things everything appears to work and the final step of flashing to the Quad SPI flash finishes successfully however my application does not actually boot. Any suggestions on steps I might be missing here? One thing I should note here is that LD6 is on after programming and also if I reset the board.

Thanks,
Doug

Edited by dooglas77

3 answers to this question