gps rollover bug in Digilent Pmod GPS board

grahamw

Question

This board contains the MediaTek GPS MT3329 module and mine has firmware that was hit by the 2019 GPS rollover bug (date wrong by 1024 weeks).  Can I update the firmware on the module?

Edited by grahamw
typo

3 answers to this question

Hi @grahamw,

It might be possible to do, though I do not know how it might be done. All of the datasheets available in the Pmod GPS reference manual do not explain how to get the device into firmware mode; I presume you would load the firmware through the SPI pins present on pins 15..18 on the device, but those were left unconnected as per the manufacturer datasheet recommendation.
I did some preliminary searching online for updating this module but am not finding a whole lot of resources, though this YouTube video (https://youtu.be/zUZ-bZghHPg) seems appropriately titled and looks like it uses the UART pins, though I don't know what firmware is available.

I checked Digilent's manufacturing test for this board as well and it only runs a functionality test rather than a firmware update so unfortunately Digilent does not have any direct instructions for you outside of doing some math (hopefully you can away with just a bit shift based on the 1024 value).

Sorry I didn't have better news for you.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

thanks very much for your help.  Yes, I saw that video indicating that something is possible in principle but also couldn't find any support direct from MediaTek.  Not great news, but you have saved me a lot of time! I guess currently available Pmod boards (eg from RS) have firmware that does not display this bug(?), so I'll try a direct replacement. 

Best wishes, Graham

I do not know if the currently available Pmod GPS modules have an updated firmware without this bug; I suppose it would depend when the modules where originally sourced/built, but I do not have any insight into that sort of data.

Thanks,
JColvin