synchronous data transfer of 2 zmodADC1410 on the eclypse z7 board

Donut01

Question

Hi,

I'm currently working on my ressearcht hesis and I need some help.

i have a eclypse z7 board with two zmod adc1410 on the syzygy connectors. Currently I'm trying to collect the data from the internal buffer of the two zmod adcs to further process in the next AXIS- IP-cores. 

For the signal processing I need the data for both adcs synchronous at the same time. Is there a way to collect from both AXI_zmod_ADC1410 ipcores the data at the same time? 

1 answer to this question

Of course.

You have the Digilent AXI controller source as a guide. With some effort you can create a different AXI controller to control both ZMODs. This will affect your software sources more than likely. There's no hardware constraint preventing the Eclypse-Z7 from implementing 4 ADC channels. While I've used the Eclypse-Z7 for 4 ADC channel projects I've never been inclined to slog though the bad documentation and source code to try and cobble a workable mod to do that; someone else might have a different opinion on this.

A more straightforward solution might be to use a different platform. You can have 2 ADC-1410 ZMODs on the XEM7320. Since this isn't a ZYNQ based board the only software is using the USB 3.0 PC interface. Opal Kelly has sufficient examples and documentation to make this "not too painful'. You can still use the Digilent low level ADC-1410 controller source if you want to simplify your design problem. At least there's no Xilinx ARM software involved, or AXI related IP to deal with. I've done this so I know that it is a viable solution.

Another option, which I've done as one of the many experiments with the Eclypse-Z7, is to create your own 64-bit AXI interface using one of the free AXI based IP provided with Vivado. There are a number of options supporting AXI DMA streaming with easier to understand data interfaces. The Z7020 can do up to 1200 MB/s DMA between the PL and PS controlled external memory using 64-bit data busses.

I don't know of better ADC or DAC reasonably priced alternatives to the ZMOD product line and a good FPGA board ( I wouldn't put the Eclypse-Z7 in that category for a number of reasons ) with a couple of SYZYGY ports. It sure would be nice if Digilent offered a good non-ZYNQ FPGA platform to go with the ZMODs. Surely, even a good FMC add-on board with 4 standard SYZYGY ports and one SYZYGY transceiver port would be a good seller... reserve a couple for me. Someone's going to do it if Digilent doesn't want to support it's own product line because it would compete with their expensive instrument product line. Edited by zygot