Need gerber or placement file for Arty A7 top connectors to make a custom hat card

DmDerev

Question

Hello, I was looking for files showing placement of connectors of "Arduino" section on Arty A7 board. Ideally, a gerber file of any layer or mechanical layer or drill file would work. The requested information is the placement of pin 1 on all 100 mil user access connectors.   There is a mechanical drawing in documentation, but not all required dimensions are shown there.

Alternatively, a blank hat card CAD board file in any popular CAD format would be very helpful.

The reason for the request is the "off-grid" mistake in the connector placement done by early Arduino designers, later some boards did not replicate the mistake and placed connectors on 100 mil grid, which made them mechanically incompatible. 

Please provide the requested information.

2 answers to this question

Hi @DmDerev,

A 3D model of the Arty A7 are available in the Additional Resources section of it's Resource Center: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/arty-a7/start#additional_resources. Does the .dxf file itself as part of the Mechanical Drawing download not let measure the distance from the center of the pin to the edge of the board? I'm at least able to get this distance measured when I open the file in Autodesk Viewer.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Yes, the DXF import allowed to measure distance and confirm that the design copied the "Arduino" placement bug. However, the distance measured from this file is 158.56 mils between pins of the connectors (although allegedly it should be 160mils ). 

In my humble opinion, providing more friendly data (like locations of pin 1 of mating connectors) in a form of a table or in gerber or drill file will be much better and simplify the job of design engineers using Digilent products. Hope you can pass this message as a suggestion to technical marketing.