Use of the internal 450MHz Clock on CMOD S7 Board

sini

Question

Hi all of you,

Im new to the XIlinx FPGA's and use the CMOD S7 Board for my Project. On the board is the extenal oscillator with 12MHz frequency, but i need to use clock sources of 200, probably 400MHz. I've read the UG470 and UG472 but can't still understand how to enable the internal clock(or the High-Performans Clock) on my VHDL project.  So my question is, how can i use the internal clock source on Vivado?

tnx

Simeon

1 answer to this question

FPGA devices don't have 'internal' clock' sources.

You can use an MMCM or PLL to take the only external clock available on CMODs, the 12 MHz USB clock, and create suitable clock of just about any frequency ( there are limitations due to how the clocking resources in the MMCM and PLL work ) to clock your logic.

Read the Series 7 reference manuals for information. The material for your VIvado installation are available through the Xilinx Document Navigator.

Read the datasheet for information about capabilities of any particular device and speed grade. Expecting to clock a design at the maximum clock frequency in the datasheet is likely to be overly optimistic. I heartily recommend taking advantage of the FPGA substrate temperature sensor for Series 7 designs as most boards aren't designed to support the power supply needs or heat dissipation requirements for all designs that can fit in the FPGA. This is particularly true for the CMOD boards.