Text/graphics libraries for HDMI out on Arty Z7-20

rehsd

Question

I am just starting to work with an Arty Z7 and its HDMI output capabilities. I would like to generate text and basic graphics to overlay on the video output --within Vitis. Is there a library to support generation of text, versus pixel by pixel creation of text? Same question for basic graphics (shapes, fills, etc.). I am looking through this example which seems to have pixel by pixel code.

I've worked with the OLEDrgb Pmod on my A7 before. It has text/shape support (PmodOLEDrgb.c). Possibly this library can be adapted (or already has been adapted)?

Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Ok, no worries, @Arthur. I was able to re-use some code I had for drawing shapes and text in an Arty A7 project (VGA pmod). I have text and shape data working (mostly). However, as I'm trying to set colors for areas, the results do not match what I would expect to see. Can you point me in the direction of any resources that describe how to properly set color data for pixels using the HDMI Out project?

In the Vivado block design, the AXI4-Stream to Video Out is using RGB for the video format. As I work with the frame in Vitis, I would expect that I set a 3-byte value for the color. I can get white, black, and grey, but when I try other colors, the results aren't what I would expect. For example, I get a rainbow effect when I would expect a solid color. I am likely missing something simple.

Thanks!

Edit: As this is a spin-off of the initial post, I started a new post with additional details.

Edited by rehsd