Question

Hi there! 

I'm an electrical engineering student and my group has been thrown in cold water:

We have to do an SPI Project where we connect a PMOD-Mic3 to our Basys3 Board and measure the frequencies of sounds by giving the Mic signal out to the onboard LEDs. A lot of LEDs have to light up when the frequency is high (over 500 Hz) and less when the frequency gets lower. [We have to create a Vivado VHDL Project.]

We have huge problems understanding the core of the exercise. So far, after hours of research, we were not succesful with anything but especially:

• Establishing SPI-Communication (Master-Slave)
  • Creating working shift-registers

Our question is: has anyone done anything like that and can provide us with tipps/tricks or even a working examplary code? We value copyright and would never copy your work, we just need an idea as we have never dealt with FPGAs, VHDL or SPI before.

We would appreciate every answer, thank you all a lot in advance!

Your ElectricalEngStudent :)

3 answers to this question

Hi @ElectricalEngStudent,

Welcome to the Forum!

There are a number of different places where you can learn about using an FPGA, including but not limited to Digilent's Learn site, nandland, and fpga4fun. From there you will be able to find a number of different guides that you may find useful such as the shift register one here and some more detail on SPI here.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

SPI is a particularly simple protocol. Designing an HDL SPI master is an excellent beginners exercise - study the a/d data sheet, it should have everything you need to get started. Can I help any more than that? No. VHDL gives me a headache. I like the clarity & simplicity of Verilog.