How to use iMPACT with Basys2 and openSUSE Leap 15(64bit)

presire

Question

This is my first time writing.

I'm using openSUSE Leap 15.3 (64bit) and 15.4 (64bit), Xilinx ISE 14.7, Basys2.

The installation procedure for Xilinx ISE 14.7 is based on openSUSE Leap 42.1 (64bit) at the URL shown below.
http://www.blunk-electronic.de/ise/howto_install_ISE_on_SuSE.pdf  (based on "ISE Installation on OpenSuSE Linux Leap 42.1 (64bit)")

In addition, I also have the latest "Adept Runtime", "Adept Utility", "libCseDigilent" installed.

lsusb

# Output
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 004: ID 1443:0007 Digilent Development board JTAG
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 062a:4102 MosArt Semiconductor Corp. Wireless Mouse
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 1a81:1004 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. Wireless Dongle 2.4 GHZ HT82D40REW
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

When I start iMPACT and run "Initialize Chain", I get the error shown below.
On iMPACT, writing is not possible.

GUI --- Auto connect to cable...
AutoDetecting cable. Please wait.
*** WARNING ***: When port is set to auto detect mode, cable speed is set to default 6 MHz regardless of explicit arguments supplied for setting the baud rates
PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation.
 Using windrvr6 driver.
Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21).
Checking cable driver.
File version of /opt/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/ISE/bin/lin64/xusbdfwu.hex = 1030.
File version of /etc/hotplug/usb/xusbdfwu.fw/xusbdfwu.hex = 1030.
 libusb-driver.so version: 2022-06-17 11:19:34.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport0).
 parport0: 
 parport1: 
 parport2: 
 parport3: 
 LPT1 Base Address set from env variable = 0.
 LPT base address = 0000h.
 LPT1 Ecp Address set from env variable = 400.
 ECP base address = 0400h.
LPT port is already in use. rc = FFFFFFFFh
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport1).
 LPT2 Base Address set from env variable = 10.
 LPT base address = 0010h.
 LPT2 Ecp Address set from env variable = 410.
 ECP base address = 0410h.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport2).
 LPT3 Base Address set from env variable = 20.
 LPT base address = 0020h.
 LPT3 Ecp Address set from env variable = 420.
 ECP base address = 0420h.
Cable connection failed.
Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - parport3).
 LPT4 Base Address set from env variable = 30.
 LPT base address = 0030h.
 LPT4 Ecp Address set from env variable = 430.
 ECP base address = 0430h.
Cable connection failed.
PROGRESS_END - End Operation.
Elapsed time =      2 sec.
Cable autodetection failed.
WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !

In the cable setup, select "Digilent JTAG USB" radio button, [Port:] pull-down shows nothing, as shown in the image.
ksnip_20220617-123136.png.4a18b7dcd3f8015bf99bbfece0415f73.png

However, "dadutil", "djtgcfg" command are working properly and these commands (CUI) can write.

djtgcfg enum

# Output
Found 1 device(s)

Device: Basys2
     Device Transport Type: 00010001 (USB)
     Product Name: Digilent Basys2-100
     User Name: Basys2
     Serial Number: 210155473605

djtgcfg init -d Basys2

# Output
Initializing scan chain...
Found Device ID: d5045093
Found Device ID: 11c10093

Found 2 device(s):
     Device 0: XC3S100E
     Device 1: XCF02S

dadutil showinfo -d Basys2

# Output
Product Name:           Digilent Basys2-100
User Name:              Basys2
Serial Number:          210155473605
Product ID:             00800122
Firmware Version:       0116
Device Transport Type:  00010001 (Transport Type = USB, Protocol = 1)
Device Capabilities:    00000005
     DJTG - JTAG scan chain access
     DEPP - Asynchronous Parallel Input/Output

Can't I use Basys2 with iMPACT on Linux?
Or is there some setting that is missing?

Thank you in advance for your response.

Edited by presire

11 answers to this question

Hello,

I do not have any evidence for iMPACT working on newer Linux distributions in conjunction with the Basys 2, so at this point I would say it does not work.

I suspect (much like you do) that there is a driver issue of some kind at play here, but the engineer most familiar with Digilent's Adept software and the plugin that I linked earlier is not intending to invest time to figure out what the root cause might be.

Regarding your earlier question of does iMPACT from ISE 14.7 work with the latest Fedora and Debian distributions, Digilent does not have a conclusive answer for this as we have not tested this particular compatibility with the Xilinx software. I have not checked, but I suspect Xilinx has not made any deliberate efforts to check this either.

Thank you,
JColvin

If you read your own post you should notice the first thing that I did: a reference to "64-bit".

Is there a reason why you are using such an ancient version of Linux? Linux has even worse issues accommodating applications and compiled libraries written for 64-bit verses 32-bit than Windows as there are a lot more versions of libraries floating about. The exception is for an OS that doesn't support 64-bit applications and compiled libraries.

Even in the old 32-bit only days Impact on Linux was a great source of consternation as I recall. The Linux kernel has changed a lot since your OS was the latest and greatest... Edited by zygot

58 minutes ago, zygot said:

If you read your own post you should notice the first thing that I did: a reference to "64-bit".

Is there a reason why you are using such an ancient version of Linux? Linux has even worse issues accommodating applications and compiled libraries written for 64-bit verses 32-bit than Windows as there are a lot more versions of libraries floating about. The exception is for an OS that doesn't support 64-bit applications and compiled libraries.

Even in the old 32-bit only days Impact on Linux was a great source of consternation as I recall. The Linux kernel has changed a lot since your OS was the latest and greatest...

No, openSUSE Leap 15.3 (64bit) was released last year, and 15.4 (64bit) was just released this month.

I think that you are misunderstanding me.
I'm using openSUSE Leap 15.3 (64bit) and 15.4 (64bit).
Incidentally, the current openSUSE Leap 15.x is 64-bit only.

The only document I referred to when installing Xilinx ISE 14.7 on my openSUSE Leap 15.3, 15.4 (64bit),  is for openSUSE Leap 42.1 (64bit).

Looking at various web sites, I have seen articles about running Basys2 and iMPACT on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS,
so I would like to know if this is possible on other distributions (ex. openSUSE Leap 15.x).

Edited by presire

And... the umpires calls a strike. I did indeed swing and miss on a curve ball.

One thing that I can say is that the ISE 14.7 tools in the AMD-Xilinx archive are not the same as the last DVD from Xilinx releasing ISE 14.7. I know this because I've tried both and ended up using the DVD version installed on WIn10. I don't use Impact on Win10.

Hopefully, someone else at bat gets a hit.

To "JColvin"

I installed the Digilent Plugin, but nothing appears in the [Port:] pulldown in the cable setup.

The environment variable XIL_CSE_PLUGIN_DIR is specified in the ~/.profile file.

~/.profile
export XIL_CSE_PLUGIN_DIR="$HOME/.cse"

The libCseDigilent.so and libCseDigilent.xml files are located in the $HOME/.cse/lin/14.7/plugins/Digilent/libCseDigilent directory.

• $HOME/.cse/lin/14.7/plugins/Digilent/libCseDigilent/libCseDigilent.so
  • $HOME/.cse/lin/14.7/plugins/Digilent/libCseDigilent/libCseDigilent.xml

Also, when I place the libCseDigilent.so and libCseDigilent.xml files in the /opt/Xilinx/14.7/ISE_DS/ISE/lib/lin64/plugins/Digilent/libCseDigilent directory,
the cable Nothing appears in the [Port:] pull-down in the configuration.

Edited by presire

Hi @presire,

I do not know why nothing is showing up in the Port pulldown option; based on what you have described you have taken all of the reasonable steps needed in order to get the device to show up in iMPACT.

Is there a particular reason you want to configure the Basys 2 in iMPACT rather than Adept when the latter seems to be working (and as I understand it was originally developed as an alternate tool to iMPACT)?

Thanks,
JColvin

To @JColvin

I would like to learn in Xilinx ISE and iMPACT, working seamlessly together with GUI.

Is there an error caused by the absence of WinDriver6 for linux or by loading libusb-driver.so?
Also, can iMPACT(ISE 14.7) be used with the latest Fedora and Debian GNU/Linux?

Thank you.

Feel free to ignore the following commentary since I flopped so badly in my first attempt to help.

Let's put things into perspective. You want to use an up to date host OS. You want to learn a depreciated tool that will hasn't been updated or supported for an age ( in terms of how long an OS version is current and up to date ). Is this really reasonable? Are you familiar with ISE?

I only pose this question to you because I still do development for Spartan devices from time to time and use ISE. Though I have the ability to use Win10 for such projects, I generally use an OS that was current back when ISE was still being supported, like Win7. There are a number of good reasons for doing this in terms of tool functionality and licenses. It's just a thought.

If you want to understand OS compatibility with ISE then the place to go is the AMD/Xilinx tool download page. I don't think that you will want to build a PC using one of those Linux versions just to have a "seamless" experience with a tool that is sorely out of date. Of course I could be wrong...

Meanwhile Adept is a supported way to configure an FPGA that works on the kinds of Linux distributions that you seem to want to use. This might not change your perspective but even back in the days before Vivado, when ISE was the only Xilinx tool, I used the Adept utilities and avoided Impact when possible. Impact was never a particularly pleasant feature to work with. Edited by zygot

Please don't miss the point.

I have already confirmed that iMPACT works on SLE and openSUSE using Platform USB Cable2.

I just want to know, if iMPACT works properly using Basys2 on relatively new Linux distributions.
If it does not work, that is fine.

Edited by presire

Thanks, for letting me know this information.

I do not have any evidence for iMPACT working on newer Linux distributions in conjunction with the Basys 2, so at this point I would say it does not work.

I suspect (much like you do) that there is a driver issue of some kind at play here, but the engineer most familiar with Digilent's Adept software and the plugin that I linked earlier is not intending to invest time to figure out what the root cause might be.

I have been able to receive a variety of information and would like to close this question then.