NIC100, Pmod HAT Adapter

JohnDough

Question

Hello,
I am trying to use the NIC100 and the Pmod HAT Adapter to get a second nic on my rapsberry pi. The NIC100 reference manual  says:

Users may either use a pull-up resistor on the Interrupt/SPI Select (INT/SPISEL) pin to enable the SPI mode of the embedded chip. Users may then bring the Chip Select (CS) line to a logic low voltage state to initiate communication with the Ethernet Controller.

The manual also says that Interrupt/SPI is pin 7, and cs is pin 1.

The Pmod HAT Adapter reference manual says that when the using JA (which is where I have the NIC100 plugged into the Pmod HAT Adapter) Pmod pin 7 is GPIO 35 and Pmod pin 1 is GPIO 24.

So, GPIO 35 is set up on my Raspberry Pi to be a pullup, and GPIO 24 is set to 0 (ie, low). I have plugged an ethernet cable into the NIC100, the green light comes on and a yellow one blinks continuously. However, the device is not on my network and I don't know why. Can someone help me and tell me why it's not showing up on my network? I suspect it may be related to what the NIC100 reference manual  says here:

Note that this Pmod only provides the hardware at the physical layer (PHY) and the media access control (MAC) for a network interface. Users must provide their own protocol stack software (such as TCP/IP). Digilent provides a set of libraries providing Ethernet support that is available in the Pmod NIC100 Resource Center.

I don't know what "provide their own network stack software" means. How do I provide network stack software to the NIC100? It sounds like I'm supposed to install software onto the NIC100 but I don't know how to do that, more direction would be appreciated.

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet