New PMOD request - new product suggestion

duane_sd

Question

Often I require a PMOD for an 8 to  16 pin SMT chip that you do not have a PMOD for

I would like to be able to purchase a cross between a "smt-breakout-board" and "pmod-prototype" board. It would be even better if it had surface mount pattern for a SOT-23 regulator of some type - ie: often the chips I'm using require 1.5v or 1.8v - but many others might not require this.  

The bill of materals would be:  The breakout board, the 12pin pmod connector and some small 0604 by-pass capacitors

Thus - for example, I need an odd-ball PMOD, I can solder my chip on the breakout board and "blue wire" the power, ground and control signals to the pmod connector

ie: CAN BUS is just one example, but there are other types of interfaces - ADCs, DACs, etc that would fit this requirement.

1 answer to this question

Hi @duane_sd,

I have let the appropriate people at Digilent know that a request for this type of Pmod exists, though I will let you know that if there is approval to dedicate resources towards this endeavor that it would be quite some time before the module is created.

I'm not a hardware design engineer for electronics, but my understanding is a lot of discreet modules require differing amounts of regulation on the power supply inputs (as dictated by their respective manufacturer's datasheet), so I don't know the realistic feasibility of being able to create a consistent landing pad. Plus if the ground, Vcc, and IO pins on the whatever SMT chip is going to be loaded. So that would be another hurdle in terms of getting a module like this created (especially since Digilent would need to be making these "layout" Pmods with some sort of minimum quantity).

My personal gut reaction is that the realistic option would be to make some sort of simple PCB yourself through a 3rd party PCB manufacturer (OSH Park, PCBWay, JLCPCB, etc). The specification for how Digilent recommends Pmods should be designed (in terms of physical and electrical specifications) is freely available on our reference site here: https://digilent.com/reference/pmod/start.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin