Errors: "Device is not calibrated", "...stopped working due to overcurrent"

Zapp

Question

While acessing my 5 month old Analog Discovery 2 (AD2) using Waveforms after one month of inactivity (but connected via USB), a series of device configuration errors are occurring which is preventing use of the device. This device worked properly prior to this one month pause in use and has not knowingly been exposed to overvoltage, shock, temperature swings or humidity changes. The AD2 is reliably displayed in Windows Device Manager during testing and a screen shot is included. Only those USB Micro-B cables providing consistant connectivity are used and then only connected to native USB2 ports on the host computers. The sequence of errors commences upon use of "Waveforms" and the error is "Device is not calibrated". Acknowledging the error is followed by "The Analog discovery has stopped working due to overcurrent. Disconnect the high current components and press OK to restart." A tick box is displayed for "Disable the current limitation and allow up to 1A to be drawn from the USB port." for which the options are "OK" and "Cancel". Neither option reliably prevents the error from repeating. The AD2 device appears in the Waveforms device list. The USB voltage was observed at one point to be approximately 4.8V but the exact value was not recorded. Note that the AD2 has NO physical connections during testing except for a 6" Micro-USB cable to the host laptop's USB2 port. Two different W10 computers are being used to debug this issue, both running Waveforms v3.18.1_64bit w/ all Waveforms components installed and the software run as Administrator each time. A screenshot of the Waveform Device Manager is included. Selecting "Calibrate" in that same Window results in the "Device is not calibrated" message again. Selecting "OK" permits "Load Factory" or a previously saved configuration and but neither resolves the issue. Some errors have occurred only ONCE or RARELY and include; "Device is not calibrated. Unkown Scope chip id 137 Scopespeed grade 69" (sic) and "Device opening failed. DptiEnableEx failed ERC: 4 Device opening failed." Any suggestions appreciated to further debug this issue.   

1269588313_220525gDeviceManager_.thumb.jpg.4e76de39c1c25f8bac573b62849e70ae.jpg

'22 0525c Device is not calibrated.jpg

'22 0525e Overcurrent.jpg

'22 0525h Win Device Manager_.jpg

'22 0525i Device Open Failed.jpg

'22 0525f Device Not Calibrated.jpg

7 answers to this question

Hi @Zapp

It could be a cable contact issue, try using the original USB cable of the device or other cables you have at hand.
Check the "Disable the current limitation..." or set USB Limit option to Maximum. 
Select Always ON for USB Power option. 
Sometimes the unpowered auxiliary supply power monitor can mess up the i2c communication with the usb power monitor, causing too high or low current/voltage reading. With the earlier two options (Max/ON) such misreading won't cause disconnect.

image.png.415fac4e9505d3a4d168cfc9ab4cd8e9.png

Cable changes were my first attempt at resolving the issue and the results indicated that the AD2 clearly prefers specific, short, Micro-USB cables only connected to USB2 ports.  More than 10 cables were tested with the best one being retained. I'll try to locate the original product cable and retry.  

Selecting "Disable the current limitation" | "OK" has no effect as the same error is thrown again seconds later. 

Selecting "Cancel" | "Waveforms Device Manager" | "Options" reveals the "USB Limit" setting was already set to "Maximum".

In that same window, the "USB Power Option" was set to "Stop with Aux" but has now been changed to "Always ON" but has not corrected the problem. Rebooting the host and retrying shows the same behavior. 

The "Device is not calibrated errors" repeat every few seconds, the "Device Opening failed" usually occurs once upon opening "Waveforms", and the settings in your screen shot match those set for this device. Shall I try the "Force Reprogramming" option in that same window? Meanwhile I'll try to locate the device supplied USB cable. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hi @Zapp

The force reprogramming only reprograms the device fpga, which is otherwise automatically done when needed: first connection, version change or configuration selection change.

You could try the latest software version:

You could try to reprogram the USB controller EEPROM.
In WaveForms / Device Manager under gear after Remote, select "Prog AD1,2...", press Find and in case you have multiple FTDI devices connected make sure the proper Device is selected, if AD2 Product is automatically select than it is ok.
On some devices the C/D port configuration may be different which could cause communication errors.
Press Program to make sure all bits are correctly set.

image.png.9884ece8c860bf1dac5f5b4bdf7a066a.png

Attila,

Testing several more cables and upgrading the  Waveforms software on both testing computers to v3.18.30_64bit has not corrected the problem.

Programming the device did not address the problem either. However, two settings were different than those in your screenshot BEFORE the programming. Your settings included "Bus Powered 400mA" and "C: Fast 4mA" whereas my original settings for those parameters were "Bus Powered 0 mA" and "C: Fast Schmitt 4 mA". Programming resulted in both of those settings now showing the same as yours. Screen shot included.  

This device was kept in an enclosure and not exposed to dust or mositure. The ports have been carefully inspected for debris but none was found. If recommended, I could try a cleaning product such as MG Chemicals 824 Isopropyl Alcohol or Super Wash. No such agents have been used on this device to date. It was purchased Jan 19, 2022 from Amazon Digilent Store and worked perfectly up until early April when it was idle for one month but left connected via USB. 

Thanks very much for your assistance to this point. Can you provide any additional debug suggestions? If not, how might a warranty return be actioned?615661454_220527hSettingsPostProg.thumb.jpg.63c142f7215fb486932730e8c70a3f94.jpg

The "Limited Warranty" paragraph on Digilent's web site (linked below) states that the forum should be used to troubleshoot the problem with a support engineer, determine if the product qualifies for warranty replacement and then acquire a RMA. Can you communicate or flag this forum entry for review by a Digilent support engineer such that an RMA might be generated? 

Meanwhile, I'll utilize the webform found at "digilent.com" but don't understand the reference to "ni.com" which appeas to be a third party.

Thanks

https://digilent.com/shop/shipping-returns/#warranty
"To request a warranty replacement due to a manufacturing defect with the product, you must first troubleshoot your problem with a Digilent support engineer by posting on our Technical Forum. If it is determined that your product qualifies for a warranty replacement your case will be sent to the Digilent RMA department. They will assign you a RMA number and send you a return service label to use in returning your defective product to Digilent..."