Genesys ZU5EV Petalinux Build for 2019.1

dsk123

Question

I am having problems booting when I build petalinux for the Genesys ZU5EV board.  I compile the BOOT.bin and image.ub ok but when I boot I get the below error.

SD1 with level shifter Boot ModeSD: rc= 0File name is BOOT.BINSD: Unable to open file BOOT.BIN: 3 XFSBL_ERROR_SD_F_OPENBoot Device Initialization failed 0x29

I just bought 3 ZU5EV boards and I'm wondering if it might be something regarding the board version vs the 2019.1 code base version. 

Ultimately I'm trying to get PYNQ up and running on the board and getting it to boot via petalinux is the first step.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9 answers to this question

That's right, our patches can only be re-used in the versions they were rebased on. Since the 2020.1 branch contains important patches related to the DDR4 initialization, I would upgrade to that version.

If you insist on 2019.1, you can try back-porting the 2020.1 embeddedsw commits. We were forced to expand the approved DDR modules we ship the Genesys ZU with and those can only be supported with the DDR4 init patches.

Thanks so much.  Should everything you suggested above work with the 2019.1 tools and associated linux build?

git clone https://github.com/Digilent/Genesys-ZU-HW

cd Genesys-ZU-HW/

git checkout tags/5ev/oob/v2019.1 -b remotes/origin/5ev/oob/master

start vivado

source create_project.tcl

I'm building the project now after I loaded in the board file you suggested.

Regarding the FSBL should I use branch genesys-zu_19.2 as I need it to be compatible with the default version of xilinx linux for 2019.1 toolflow?

,Dan

I know how to use the system-user.dtsi and the board files with the petalinux toolflow but how do I use the embeddedsw code with petalinux?  I'm not exactly sure how to swap in the correct fsbl as opposed to using the default one that petalinux has.  Also I only see a genesys-zu_2019.2 branch for the embeddedsw repo.  Will this work for the 2019.1 flow?  Thanks for your help on this.

There are more ways to integrate FSBL changes in the Petalinux flow, but the easiest is probably re-using our patches from here:

https://github.com/Digilent/Genesys-ZU-OS/tree/5ev/oob/release/v2.1/project-spec/meta-user/recipes-bsp/fsbl/files

You can also change the git repo url Petalinux pulls the FSBL sources from to our fork, which is the other way of doing this.

Edited by elodg
words hard

I ran the below lines and ended up getting some errors regarding hunks.  I thought this might happen as the fsbl that you mentioned above is applying patches to the newer version of the linux kernel and not the 2019.1 kernel.  Do you have any thoughts as to how I should proceed?  Ultimately I'm just trying to get a petalinux build using 2019.1 and then use the BSP to help generate a PNYQ image using the 2019.1 tools.

cd sdfix

git clone https://github.com/Digilent/Genesys-ZU-HW

cd Genesys-ZU-HW/

start vivado

source create_project.tcl

change settings to be the new board support package

build the project

export the .hdf file

cd ..

git clone https://github.com/Digilent/Genesys-ZU-OS

cd Genesys-ZU-OS/

sudo cp ../Genesys-ZU-HW/system_wrapper.hdf .

downloaded Genesys-ZU-OS-5ev-oob-release-v2.1 and replaced the

project-spec\meta-user\recipes-bsp\fsbl directory on my virtual box with the one from the repo

petalinux-config --get-hw-description  [accept all defaults and save]

petalinux-build

image.png.9c4652a93eb09fdd8abfcf0fa178a964.png

image.png.25918462cd8bac6686e693b79e94d301.png