Genesys2 ZU5 board can't program FPGA

Chris2000

Question

I cannot program the FPGA on this board over USB from Vivado's hardware manager or SDK.  I get the error

INFO: [Labtoolstcl 44-466] Opening hw_target localhost:3121/xilinx_tcf/Digilent/210383AF7FB6A
ERROR: [Labtools 27-2269] No devices detected on target localhost:3121/xilinx_tcf/Digilent/210383AF7FB6A.

The supplied demo is working, so the FPGA is functional.  The board is a few weeks old. 

I have 2 PC's (windows 10 & Ubuntu) that both can connect and program an FPGA board (TEB707 + TEB0821) so I don't believe it's my drivers or cable.

I have Xilinx tools versions 2019.1 and 2021.2 on both PC's.  I get similar failures on all.

Debug questions from another post:

- If you are using Windows, can you see the board in the Windows device manager? It would be listed as USB Serial Converter A and USB Serial Converter B under the Universal Serial Bus controllers dropdown, both with which with bus reported device descriptions in the Details tab of their Properties window of "Digilent USB Device"

When I connect the USB cable, I see USB Serial Converter A-D, but the details tab does not show Digilent.  All have device description of USB Serial Converter x. 

image.png.b14b795c6a44b1eaafefeb56a50b2252.png

- Did you install the cable drivers?

Xilinx cable drivers, yes

- Are you able to detect the board if you use the Digilent Adept software?

The board is detected, but Initialize chain fails.  Note I get the same result with the TEB707 + TEB0821

- Has the board been successfully detected before previously?

no
- Have you attempted to connect the board with a different USB cable or to a different computer? (You do not need to have Vivado installed on a different computer, you can check in the Device Manager or with the Digilent Adept software).

Yes, I tried different cables & the linux computer.  

I'd appreciate any help getting this working.

4 answers to this question

Hi @Chris2000,

In the Device Manager under the Details tab, what does the Property dropdown option show for "Bus Reported Device Description"?

Additionally, when you tested with the the Adept software, was the Vivado/Vitis software closed? Adept will not take control over the JTAG chain if the Xilinx software is open and already connected to it, which leads to the board being detected but the initialization of the chain failing.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thanks for the followup @JColvin

"Bus Reported Device Description" is Digilent Adept USB Device for all USB Serial Converter A-D. 

With Vivado closed, Adept can initialize the chain.  Is "ARM_DAP" the ZU5 FPGA?  When I browse to select a .bit file to program it, it refuses to select the file. 

image.thumb.png.fa8c2143cbd25782619ec02c88dec54a.png

Edited by Chris2000

Hi @Chris2000,

The ARM_DAP is the ARM core processor that is integrated into Xilinx's Zynq and Zynq Ultrascale+ devices. The Bus Reported Device description is the expected value

I asked the software engineer who made Adept about the CPLD portion and they let me know that they had not added the specific device information (for the Ultrascale+ boards) to the Adept software, so the unknown CPLD is the FPGA portion of the Zynq Ultrascale+ device since there is no actual CPLD or other programmable device on the JTAG chain present on the Genesys ZU 5EV. I was able to confirm this behavior with my own setup as well. So, at least on the OS and software test side of things, the board is successfully being recognized.

What this does not answer though is why your Vivado system is not detecting Ultrascale+ device (either the ARM core or the FPGA portion). I opened up the HelloWorld project I had built for 2021.2 and found that the Hardware Manager was successfully able to connect to both the PL and PS portion of the Ultrascale+.

At this point, I imagine you would have restarted the Xilinx software without successful detection of the board and that you used the USB cable that came with the Genesys ZU 5EV, correct?

Thanks,
JColvin

The Adept GUI is obsolete, replaced by Vivado Hardware Manager.

Assuming your board is the Genesys ZU-5EV, the USB-JTAG port requires Vivado 2020.1 or later as described here. All necessary drivers come with the Vivado installer and are installed as "cable drivers". All four ports of the on-board USB 2.0 controller are listed as "USB Serial Converter x", which is correct.

The hardware connection is established by the Hardware Server (hw_server) component. All Xilinx tools launch this process if it doesn't exist and connect to it. Therefore, it is actually hw_server which needs to be >2020.1 for the Genesys ZU to be recognized as a valid target. This could be an issue if you have multiple Vivado versions installed.

Please run <Xilinx install dir>\Vivado\2020.1\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\digilent\install_digilent.exe, to make sure the drivers are properly installed. Make sure the hw_server process is not running, kill it if it is and open Vivado 2020.1 Hardware Manager. The target should be detected and be programmable.

You can also check which version of hw_server is running in Task Manager: image.png.11d0be9f93be5160871e35d36e048383.png

Edited by elodg
added screenshot