Rochus

Question

Hi,

I purchased the Nexys A7-100T. I am completing the demo however it isn't working as expected.

I press a key on the keyboard and nothing happens. I see all zeros on the 7 segment display. Also it isn't clear how the terminal is involved in the demo. Perhaps it is only part of the Baysis demo. Is the code supposed to be displayed on the terminal app as well as the 7 segment display.

I am following this page. I am using this archive.https://github.com/Digilent/Nexys-A7/releases/tag/100T/Keyboard/2020.1-1?_ga=2.66012584.728221977.1650366243-1708007738.1649227983

I am able to produce the bitstream and program the board.

Any help would be appreciated.

6 answers to this question

Hi @Rochus,

The serial terminal is not used with this demo, it should only show up on the 7 segment display; we'll make sure the documentation does not confuse this.

I just created the design from the link you provided and the 7 segment display on my Nexys A7 100T is operating as expected with the scan codes.

What revision of the Nexys A7 100T do you have and is your USB keyboard that is connected to the USB host port a "fancy" keyboard or a more mundane keyboard?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

It is difficult to determine the revision. I don't have much accompanying documentation with the board. I have turned it over and I see the following: PB200-292 Rev D.  I guess this is the revision or may allow the revision to be derived.

I have tried two keyboards.

1. One which wired keyboard supplied by Apple
  2. One wireless keyboard with the Hama brand which I purchased in Germany.

With keyboard 1, I don't see any any response. The 7Segment Display shows 0.

With keyboard 2, I see the busy LED flashing in front of the USB host port, and the number 00000AA on the 7 segment display after I hit a key, and it doesn't refresh.

One other things which I am uncertain about is the ps2 keyboard. I am using a USB slot. Isn't the PS2 the old round type connectors ?

I see this message when I generate the bitstream however i can't locate these properties in the constraint file.

[DRC CFGBVS-1] Missing CFGBVS and CONFIG_VOLTAGE Design Properties: Neither the CFGBVS nor CONFIG_VOLTAGE voltage property is set in the current_design.  Configuration bank voltage select (CFGBVS) must be set to VCCO or GND, and CONFIG_VOLTAGE must be set to the correct configuration voltage, in order to determine the I/O voltage support for the pins in bank 0.  It is suggested to specify these either using the 'Edit Device Properties' function in the GUI or directly in the XDC file using the following syntax:

set_property CFGBVS value1 [current_design]
 #where value1 is either VCCO or GND

set_property CONFIG_VOLTAGE value2 [current_design]
 #where value2 is the voltage provided to configuration bank 0

Refer to the device configuration user guide for more information.

Nexys-A7-100T-Master.xdcNexys-A7-100T-Master.xdc

thanks,

Rochus

Edited by Rochus

Hi @Rochus,

Yes, the PS/2 keyboards are the circular input connectors. Digilent's setup, described more in this section of the Reference Manual, https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/nexys-a7/reference-manual#usb_hid_host, takes the USB HID data and effectively converts the data into a PS/2 bus, though any attached mice and keyboards are only supported if they support the Boot HID interface. The Rev D version of the board is the latest version as far as I know.

I will see if I can track down an apple keyboard of some kind and a wireless keyboard to see if they work with this demo, though I do not have high hopes for them working if they require any sort of any additional driver installation.

I get the same message as you regarding the configuration bank (bank 0), which is true in that our .xdc does not specify this as their voltage level is already set in both the FPGA hardware itself (3.3 V as per UG475) and in the circuitry of the board which is not adjustable by the user (unless you plan on cutting traces and making other modifications). Why Vivado is concerned about this and makes a warning, I do not know.

A coworker of mine said they probably have an Apple keyboard I can try out and I know I've seen a wireless keyboard somewhere around the office, so I'll try them and see what I results I get; of course, they won't be the exact models of keyboards you have ,but should at least provide some sort of gut check on compatibility.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @Rochus,

I'm not sure how one would tell if a keyboard is "Boot HID" supported either, or at least I've never seen it advertised. For what it's worth though, all of the generic Microsoft/Dell/Intel/whatever keyboards that look like they came out of a garage sale that I have ever tried have worked with the Nexys A7.

I tested both a wired USB Apple keyboard (I'm not certain what model it is, though it looked like a standard "garage sale" keyboard, but Apple manufactured and I know it is otherwise successfully used on a daily basis) and a wireless Anker keyboard with a dongle. Neither keyboard worked with the Nexys A7 (though both worked with my Windows 10 laptop).
I suspect neither are working because the PIC24 present on the Nexys A7 doesn't have the appropriate drivers installed; the wireless dongle of course needs one (and to be fair did successfully send the 'AA' scan code to the Nexys A7 which indicates that it passed it's self test, but then the BUSY LED just below the USB HID Host port was blinking at a high rate with no further updates). The Apple keyboard produced no results whatsoever on the Nexys A7.

In terms of updating the PIC24 to support either keyboard, realistically neither will happen. Supporting every wireless dongle is simply not feasible and I don't know the feasibility on getting the appropriate source material to recompile any appropriate driver for the Apple keyboard to work on a PIC24.

Thanks,
JColvin