PMOD CAN

Enthusiastic

Question

Hi everyone,

I want to use PMOD CAN with Genesys ZU 3EG Zynq ultracscale+ MPSOC board. 

I want to know if the data captured by PMOD CAN includes the timestamp with the CAN data frames?

Or is there a way to include time stamps with the CAN data frames received.

I am using Vivado design suite for designing the system.

Thank you

3 answers to this question

Hi @Enthusiastic,

Looking at the datasheet for the MCP25625 embedded in the Pmod CAN, I don't think there is any built in way to the chip to keep track of time since power-on or any other long term time keeping method. The oscillator on board is used to maintain timing since the CAN protocol doesn't share a clock line with other CAN devices.

In theory, you could supply your own timestamps generated by the Zynq board and send them as one of the packets to whatever other system you are communicating with over CAN, presuming that system is set up to receive and interpret said packet(s).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi Enthusiastic,

I am trying to implement PMOD can on the Kria  KV260 board which is also based on Zynq ultrascale+ MPSoC but in the step where the integration of hardware and software with vitis, i am getting an error that vitis couldnt find the assosciated header files. Did you also encounter this error? you can also verify if my hardware connection is right.

Screenshot from 2022-05-04 20-30-39.png