Help with gentler dark mode in waveforms

cprosser

Question

Hi folks,

I suffer from migraines, and when they are bad, I struggle with light sensitivity. This means I like to avoid user interfaces that have full brightness (or darkness) colors as it tends to cause too much contrast and can be painful for me to look at.

I was thrilled to find that I can modify the stylesheets for Qt myself and was able to improve a lot of things. I was also able to change the trace colors to be a little dimmer. But I still can't figure out how to address anything that's not a Qt control, mainly the data display areas in Logic and Scope.

I'd like to set the background to #1E1E1E (like Visual Studio Code) and bring the full brightness values (anything with a 255 in it) to something less bright. 

Is this possible?

I've attached my latest version of the stylesheets along with screenshots pointing out the places I'm having problems. This is with 3.17.19 (beta).

Thanks!

--chris

scope-1.png

logic.png

BetterDark.css

6 answers to this question

@attila That's a great improvement. I really like the addition of "gray" for a background setting. A few things I noticed (and questions).

1) In Settings:Dark mode I'm finding the Scope trace colors too dim. Red, Yellow, and Blue have a  default value (from HSV) of 208. I find somewhere around 220-225 more pleasing. On second thought the longer I use Waveforms in this mode, maybe the current colors are fine.
2) The Scope: Spectogram and Persistence when switched to color: Gray drops the color a lot. Peak red goes from 256,0,0 to 128,0,0. I think the color scale for "Dark" is fine for the Gray mode too, just dimming the text labels would be great.

3) Is there a way for me to save my own default workspace? The default them for Spectrogram and Persistence when Settings Dialog: Style:"Gray"/Digital:Gray/Analog:Gray is still the Black scheme. I'd like to change that default but it doesn't seem sticky on my system.

I went through all the tools and this is quite a nice change. Thank you!

--chris