PmodESP32 on Arty-A7--100

blackt1ger

Question

What a long day.  I finally got the PmodESP32 working on my Arty-A7 with a microblaze cpu.  Now that I got it working, I'm trying to figure out the right way to fix the problem.    And really it extends to anything using the pmod bridge with the AXI-UARTLITE module.

The AXI clock frequency must be supplied when customizing the AXI-UartLite module, but that module is used inside of the PmodESP32 module and the default customization is 100 Mhz,, while my AXI clock frequency is 83.33 Mhz.   Really, any module that exposes the UART internally, should also parameterize necessary settings.

My solution was to edit the PmodESP32 module in IP Packager, re-customize the modules (and for some reason, it seems to be stuck on a Cora-Z7 part), change the customizer part to the Arty-A7, repackage the IP.  Then do an in-place upgrade on the block design.

I think a complete review of all PMOD modules IP needs to be performed.....   Can we submit a bug in GIT and will it be acted on?

1 answer to this question

Hello @blackt1ger,

The Pmod IPs are used so that the users can understand how it works when they first have the product in their hands. The drivers and demo example that comes with the IP are made for a quick test, so the user can understand how the Pmods works. Then the user can modify the IP and drivers to suit their needs.

I'm glad that you succeed to change the IP to suit your needs.

The IP was created and tested with a Cora Z7 board, and then was packaged in that form. This doesn't mean it won't work with other boards.

The IPs have limited features, but the users can add other features afterwards.

However, your opinion was taken into consideration and we thank you for it.

Have a great day,

Ana-Maria

Archived