Xc9536 jtag

Jpyro1

Question

6 answers to this question

Hi @Jpyro1,

In general, the Digilent programming cables are not compatible with the 9500 series CLPDs.

There is one comment from another user on our Forum here, https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/3607-jtag-usb-programming-xilinx-9536-with-impact/?do=findComment&comment=13548, that says they were able to program a 9536 CPLD by creating an SVF file with iMPACT and then program the device through Adept. I do want to clarify that those of us here at Digilent have not attempted this though, so I can't vouch for this method.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello,

That would then be in line with the statement that the 9500 series of devices are not supported by the HS2 and SMT2 devices. A general rule of thumb is that Adept has really only been configured to work with Digilent made boards, but is not widely used as the Vivado Hardware Manager is directly integrated into the Xilinx software. There is some more information about programming these types of devices in these two Xilinx Answer records here and here. Appendix E of UG908 also lists the non-voltatile memory devices supported by Xilinx's Vivado software.

Thanks,
JColvin

Anyone still reading this thread let me give some background and solution I found.

I was trying to program 9500 series after my xilinx platform cable refused to work on win10 with ISE. I was hoping an easy jtag programmer would work but it seems all the ones I could find would not tolerate the needed programming voltages. After hours trying to get win10 to talk to the platform cable drivers I realised that auto installer had put 32bit drivers on my 64bit machine. As ISE was in 64bit install it refused to talk to it (it would be nice if it warned you). Going through the webpack install files I found the 64bit installer for the programming tool (can't remember what it's called now) and manually installed it. The software does not talk to the programmer but if you export the programming file and then manually open the programming utility and import the file you can initiate the jtag chain. It's not perfect but nothing is in ISE. It got me out of trouble so I can't complain.

Just to be more specific:

In my setup although SMT2 Jtag cable is recognized by ISE14.7 and init chooltain detects correclty xc9572xl and xc9536 I have not the option of program/verify.

If using method JCovin mentioned above (by creating an SVF file with iMPACT and then program the device through Adept) I have the option to program the device but nothing actually  is coded in CPLD! I even tried to detach cable while programming and programming job continues wihout error meaning the programming progress has a problem.

I really hope we can find a solution as I even tried several DIY FTDI/parallel cables on my xc9536/72s with no success

@Jpyro1: With your last solution what cable you were trying to connect?

It was not even recognised at first place or it was recognised but couldn't program the device(s)?

Alex

Archived