OpenLogger - issues and enhancements

Now that there is a means of exporting log files to csv, I have been trying out my device (with firmware 1.3.0). There are some issues that I think still need to be resolved.

1. Advanced tab - "profile": if I store a profile and then restore it later, the settings for the DC power supply are not re-loaded. I am using the DC power supply to power a sensor, so it would be nice for the power setting to be reloaded when I load the saved profile. It also does not load any scaling applied to the analogue channels.

2. Advanced tab - "Log On Boot": This option lets the logger automatically start logging when it reboots. The issue I have is related to the one above - I am powering a sensor with the DC supply, so on reboot, the DC power setting should get restored, but it does not, so the sensor is not powered-up on re-boot. Can we make the power be re-applied on reboot also?

3. Advanced tab - loading profiles. I've saved two profiles. However only one appears in the profile drop-down list menu. I know both are saved because if I go to the "file explorer" button, I can see them stored under the "flash" folder. At one time I could see them both but now I only see one - even after re-booting the openlogger and re-connecting.

4. Scaling: I am scaling my sensor signal by a factor of 50 to convert from Volts to m. I have my sensor connected to Channel 5. The graph always displays "Ch 1" and gives units in "mV" despite the scaling and units I've entered.  It should display my channel number correctly and the correct units, but it does not. I can see my signal in the top buffer display, but not on the main chart.

5. Waveform display: Attached is a screenshot showing streaming of channel 5 (without any scaling). Display shows Ch1 (even though channel 1 is not even active). The graph y-scaling seems to be 5mV/div even though for channel 5 it is set to 500mV/div. The true waveform signal is around 723mV,  yet the graph axis indicates its about 7mV.

streaming_screenshot.png

6. I noticed another issue: If I'm logging in log-on-boot mode, and I start waveformslive, when I it launches I can see the data streaming - fine. If I then stop the logging from waveformslive, and go to download, I get error messages and the download fails. I can then not restart logging. So it looks like when in log-on-boot mode, you should use the prog button on the device to stop logging, not waveformslive.

Is anyone else seeing the same issues? Could these please be addressed in future firmware releases?

Hi @sgrobler,

Thank you for posting about the issues you are having with WaveForms Live. I am currently doing some further work on the OpenLogger and WaveForms Live and will gladly fit investigating them into task list. I'll also take a look at the single character scaling issue you posted about.

Keep an eye on this thread for an update.

AndrewHolzer

• 2 months later...
On 10/30/2019 at 9:23 AM, AndrewHolzer said:

Hi @sgrobler,

Thank you for posting about the issues you are having with WaveForms Live. I am currently doing some further work on the OpenLogger and WaveForms Live and will gladly fit investigating them into task list. I'll also take a look at the single character scaling issue you posted about.

Keep an eye on this thread for an update.

AndrewHolzer

Hi Andrew, did you make any progress on OpenLogger/Waveforms live?

regards

Steve

Hello Steve,

Apologies for this late reply; I've been hard at work. I have made and am still making progress on WaveForms Live, OpenScope and OpenLogger. I've fixed some of the chart issues that you've observed, such as the incorrect channel number and scaling units, removed the character restriction when specifying units and added the DC settings to the profile, and a few other bugs. I still need to work on the firmware side to fix some of the issues you've found.

The stuff I have added to WaveForms Live is currently available on the website and I'll keep you posted about the firmware update as well.

Regards,
Andrew

Hi Andrew, thanks for the update.

I'm using firmware 1.3 which appears to be latest version.
I've had a look at Waveforms live and I can see some of the things you mention are working - many thanks.

Somem things not working are illustrated in the screenshots attached:

• Item 3 in my earlier post: although I have two profiles stored on the SD card, only one of them appears in the drop down selection menu.
  • I can now enter "dBA" in the scaling but I can't set the y-axis limits wide enough to see the signal - limited by the Units/ which can only be set to a maximum of 5. I think the selections here need to be updated with reference to the scale factor.
  • Saving of the DC output settings did not seem to stick for me.

Keep at it - your efforts are most appreciated and welcome!

Regards

Steve

OpenLoggerBugs13Feb2020.JPG

• 2 months later...

Despite the promises from@AndrewHolzer above, he now says there are no updates and no plans to produce any either.

Utterly disappointed. Its got a lot of promise and Digilent made a lot of promises to work on the bugs and update firmware etc.

Its a lemon. I've persevered for a long time, but its going in the bin now.

Archived