Connecting 2 pmod modules into a 2x6 pin female pmod host

GeorgeMina

Question

Hi,

I have a Nebula Rev 2.0 board, which has an on board pmod host (2x6 pin). Is it possible to connect 2 pmod modules to it?

These are the modules of interest:

https://store.digilentinc.com/pmod-amp2-audio-amplifier/

https://store.digilentinc.com/pmod-mic3-mems-microphone-with-adjustable-gain/

4 answers to this question

Hi @GeorgeMina,

Yes, you may attach one Pmod to the top row of the 2x6 header and the other Pmod to the bottom row of the 2x6 Pmod host port; you will need to use a cable of some kind though since the Pmods won't both physically fit on top of each other, but there is nothing electrically preventing you from doing this. I am not familiar with the Nebula board you mentioned, but you should be able to program it such that each Pmod is controlled separately. I don't know if there are any nuances with this particular board that you would have to consider (such as the Pmod port is only compatible with SPI Pmods).

Thanks,
JColvin

19 hours ago, JColvin said:

Hi @GeorgeMina,

Yes, you may attach one Pmod to the top row of the 2x6 header and the other Pmod to the bottom row of the 2x6 Pmod host port; you will need to use a cable of some kind though since the Pmods won't both physically fit on top of each other, but there is nothing electrically preventing you from doing this. I am not familiar with the Nebula board you mentioned, but you should be able to program it such that each Pmod is controlled separately. I don't know if there are any nuances with this particular board that you would have to consider (such as the Pmod port is only compatible with SPI Pmods).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi J,

Thanks for your prompt response. I assume that would be a cable like so:

https://store.digilentinc.com/2x6-pin-to-dual-6-pin-pmod-splitter-cable/

I've never programmed a MCU before. I assume it shouldn't be too hard to write code to bind the peripherals to the MCU pins, I hope.

Yes, that cable is suitable from connection perspective. Still, there are functionality issues that you must be concerned.

Most of the Pmods communicate using protocols like SPI, I2C, etc. This is specified on the Pmod datasheet. This means that the pins corresponding on the maching connector (on the system board) must implement that specific functionality.

Normally using a FPGA board will be easier to configure Pmod pins to the needed functionality. 

Still, as you use a microcontroller board, this might be more difficult or even impossible. Please check if  the pins associated to the Pmod rows correspond with the associated function on the Pmod. Another possibility is to re-configure the pins if  your microcontroller allows pins reconfiguration. Please check (in the board schematic) which microcontroller pins are connected to the Pmod connector, and then check (in the microcontroller datasheet) the functions for these pins.

Good luck.

Archived