micro-USB cables for Zedboard?

GMA

Question

12 answers to this question

Hi @GMA,

As long as they are not "charging only" cables, then yes they will be able to transfer data as well.

Naturally, the cables do not facilitate the software side of the data transfer, but there are a number of existing materials to help get the software side of things working.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @GMA,

Yes, the standard micro USB cables will be sufficient, so long as they are not charging only cables. If you're looking to transfer data at high speeds, you may want to also look into getting a USB certified cable for better results. Those of us at Digilent have used standard cables (such as ones that come with phones to charge and connect to your PC) without issue though.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @GMA,

The physical end of a Type-C connector will not work with the Zedboard as the pins and data lines inside of the cable are different between Type C and Type B.

You can connect the micro-B cable to a USB 2.0 or 3.0 (or 3.1) port on a host computer though, but the data connection speed will be limited to 2.0 data rates (because that was all that existed at the time the Zedboard was designed).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @chainastole,

Some of the USB A to Micro B only provide power and do not have the data lines connected internally in the cable. Some USB A to Micro B do have the data line connected. The easiest way to tell on a currently owned USB A to Micro B is to connect a device like a smart phone to your PC. If you are able to download files/pictures from the smartphone then the USB A to Micro B cable provides data as well.

EDIT: Looking at your other post you did just this and the cable was the issue.

best regards,

Jon

Archived