Zybo-Z7 embedded visual bundel and wasted voucher

frp

Question

I'm a noob in the field of Zynq and Vivado stuff and am wanting to learn about it, so decided to start with it:

A few months ago I bought from mouser the ZYBO-Z7 embedded vision bundel. Because I read somewhere on the internet that it only works well with vivido designer suite and not with the web pack, I also had a voucher. Since I'm a MacOs user (not Windows), I decided to install the latest Vivado on a latest CentOS Linux, as Xilinx works also with RedHat like linux. All this was installed using virtualbox. After many attempts I succeeded into installing the latest CentOs linux and after many more attempts I installed also the Vivado designer and validated the license on the voucher. However CentOS was, and remained very unstable and crashed very easily, and now I cannot even start it up. That where my license file went unused, but still redeemed. As the the license is a one time use (as I understand), I have the feeling that I've lost the license, without even having the occasion to use it even once. So my Zybo-Z7 is still collecting dust. What can be done to be able to operate my zybo-Z7 board?

I have the understanding that Vivado design suite is essential to work with the Zybo board, and with the voucher one can use it without a very expensive license.

Do I really need the Vivado design suite? Or can I also use the web pack version without drawbacks? Do I really need that license to make the most out of the Zybo board?

I also don't know, if I install a e.g. Fedora (don't trust CentOs anymore) linux on a new virtual machine with the same Vivado design suite, then I don't know whether I can still use the license file again and add it to the vivado license manager without problems (I expect a rejection). I'm affraid to go again into a lot of effort for nothing. Is my license really lost? Should I care about?

Many question while putting all my courage together to make a new attempt to learn about zynq and Vivado...

Greetings,

2 answers to this question

Hi @FR,

You should be able to use the Webpack for your needs.

On a side note you can download the Design Edition and use it without a licence as long as the things you are doing do not require you to be using the design edition.

The Genesys 2 requires you to have the design edition to use this FPGA so you would have to have the design edition license.  The Zybo Z7 does not require you to use the design edition so you would not need to have a design edition license when using the design edition and the Zybo Z7. 

Here is a good explanation between the different editions.

Also if you havent seen this, here is the resource center for the Zybo-Z7

best regards,

Jon

Archived