build error petalinux

Fraser

Question

Hi all,

Disclaimer:  I am a software guy that is a total newb to Zybo board and petalinux

I've been trying forever to get my my project to build, and i keep getting the same errors.  The vivado project is simply an autogenerated Zync system with a single PMOD iinterface.  I've seen many tutorials for the Zed board that don't seem to have the build problems that the Zybo does. The following is the error i'm dealing with. Thank you in advance for the help!

[INFO] building project
[INFO] sourcing bitbake
INFO: bitbake petalinux-user-image
WARNING: Host distribution "LinuxMint-19.1" has not been validated with this version of the build system; you may possibly experience unexpected failures. It is recommended that you use a tested distribution.
Loading cache: 100% |##########################################################################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:00
Loaded 3258 entries from dependency cache.
Parsing recipes: 100% |########################################################################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:01
Parsing of 2473 .bb files complete (2430 cached, 43 parsed). 3266 targets, 226 skipped, 0 masked, 0 errors.
NOTE: Resolving any missing task queue dependencies
Initialising tasks: 100% |#####################################################################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:06
Checking sstate mirror object availability: 100% |#############################################################################################################################################################################################| Time: 0:00:16
NOTE: Executing SetScene Tasks
NOTE: Executing RunQueue Tasks
fsbl-2017.4+gitAUTOINC+77448ae629-r0 do_compile: NOTE: fsbl: compiling from external source tree /home/faddison/petalinux/tools/hsm/data/embeddedsw
ERROR: device-tree-generation-xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0 do_compile: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/temp/log.do_compile.9166)
ERROR: Logfile of failure stored in: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/temp/log.do_compile.9166
Log data follows:
| DEBUG: Executing shell function do_compile
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:77.1-14 Label or path axi_dynclk_0 not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:82.1-12 Label or path axi_vdma_1 not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:85.1-10 Label or path v_tc_out not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:91.1-9 Label or path v_tc_in not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:94.1-12 Label or path axi_vdma_0 not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:97.1-16 Label or path axi_gpio_video not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:100.1-9 Label or path pwm_rgb not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:139.1-15 Label or path axi_i2s_adi_0 not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:155.1-14 Label or path axi_gpio_led not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:160.1-17 Label or path axi_gpio_sw_btn not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:164.1-14 Label or path axi_gpio_eth not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:201.1-11 Label or path axi_iic_0 not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:225.1-26 Label or path mipi_csi2_rx_subsystem_0 not found
| Error: /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/system-user.dtsi:264.1-15 Label or path v_frmbuf_wr_0 not found
| FATAL ERROR: Syntax error parsing input tree
| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
| ERROR: Function failed: do_compile (log file is located at /home/faddison/petalinux/beyond/build/tmp/work/plnx_arm-xilinx-linux-gnueabi/device-tree-generation/xilinx+gitAUTOINC+3c7407f6f8-r0/temp/log.do_compile.9166)
ERROR: Task (/home/faddison/petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx-tools/recipes-bsp/device-tree/device-tree-generation_git.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'
NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 3306 tasks of which 2605 didn't need to be rerun and 1 failed.

Summary: 1 task failed:
  /home/faddison/petalinux/components/yocto/source/arm/layers/meta-xilinx-tools/recipes-bsp/device-tree/device-tree-generation_git.bb:do_compile
Summary: There was 1 WARNING message shown.
Summary: There was 1 ERROR message shown, returning a non-zero exit code.
ERROR: Failed to build project

Is there a solid Zybo Petalinux "HOWTO"  or tutorial for creating your own project that clearly shows how to get your own Vivado PMOD project and associated petalinux project to build properly???  It seems to me it shouldn't be this hard.  All the of the Zed board tutorials seem to be much more straight forward....

3 answers to this question

It looks like you took our petalinux project and added your hdf file to it?

System-user.dtsi makes references to axi which was present in our Vivado design in the petalinux project, but you don't have axi in your design.

Please remove all the references it's complaining about.

Regarding a Petalinux "HOWTO", Xilinx's petalinux documentation in the best reference:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug1144-petalinux-tools-reference-guide.pdf

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug1156-petalinux-tools-workflow-tutorial.pdf

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/sw_manuals/xilinx2017_4/ug1157-petalinux-tools-command-line-guide.pdf

You'll find most documentation about system-user.dtsi in the first link, and some in the second.

Make sure you're looking at the guide for the Petalinux version you are using.

Thank you for the links and the info.  But i probably should have put the commands down to show how i created the project.  I thought i was suppose to reference the Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20-2017.4-2.bsp to have the project properly set up.  When i create the project using "petalinux-create --type project --template zynq --name foo --source Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20-2017.4-2.bsp", I ultimately get the above error.  If i don't source any bsp, it compiles, but doesn't boot the SD card.  So i should not reference the Zybo bsp file on project creation as per ug1144 steps? 

As you can see i am VERY green... I appreciate your patience.  thx

From the project README, run the command without the -template option.

petalinux-create -t project -s <path to .bsp file>

Then you can make your changes.

You could even do a build (petalinux-build) before making your changes just so you can see that the full build works.

Some changes require a full build clean (petalinux-build -x mrproper)

Archived