Max32 does not Support LINX WS2812 Open?

srv565

Question

Windows 10

LabVIEW 2018 32-bit

LINX 3.0.1.192

Hello,

I recently purchased a digilent ChipKIT Max32. Was planning on using it for a quick demo at work. When I try to use any of the LINX examples for WS2812, all using the LINX WS2812 Open.vi, I get the following error. The supporting documents say Max32 is supported. I attached a screenshot of the error and a paste of the log of what the open.vi spits out is below:

Error Code: 1073676294

VISA Read in LVH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:Serial Read.vi->LVH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:Wait For Packet.vi->LVH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:Send Command.vi->LVH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:Get DIO Channels.vi->LVH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:Load Device Config.vi->LVH-LINX.lvlib:Device.lvlib:Initialize Device.vi->LVH-LINX.lvlib:Initialize.vi->Untitled 2

Here's the documents on the vi.

https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/doku.php?id=learn:libraries:linx:reference:labview:ws2812:open

Anyone know what could be the issue?

Edit: I saw this post but does not really help; https://www.labviewmakerhub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3141&p=11706&hilit=ws2812#p11706

WS2812 Open Error.PNG

Edited by srv565

5 answers to this question

Hi @srv565,

I'm not certain what the error actually is; the LabVIEW forum thread you linked with the comment that the firmware code restricting the code to only work on WF32 and Arduino Mega boards would be the most likely reason though I don't know how to readily change. I made a simple LabVIEW code setup to use the Max32 with the WS2812 VIs and stepped into and out of the VIs until I found the VI that generated the source of the error (Wait for Packet VI) though I don't know what's going wrong; it seems like one of the checksums isn't returning a proper value, but I'm not certain how that could be fixed.

I have asked another engineer more familiar with LINX and the associated firmware to see if they have a recommendation on what can be done.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello @JColvin,

The farthest I reached was uploading the WF32 firmware to MAX32 and WS2812 Open.vi did not produce any errors however the system did not function properly regardless. I think the only problem is somehow finding the VI routines that need updating/changing to reflect the recent MAX32 changes.

Hi @srv565,

The WF32 firmware would not work on the Max32 since it presumes a certain configuration and location of the pins (such as the location of the SPI locations), so I am not surprised that it did not work. I looked at the firmware code (available where you installed the examples for when you downloaded LINX; mine is in the Arduino->libraries folder) and confirmed that the WS2812 libraries are only configured to work with boards defined as "BOARD_WF32" and "BOARD_MEGA". I believe the reason for this is because the board files in MPIDE and the Arduino IDE define (for whatever reason) a Max32 as a "BOARD_MEGA" so the WS2812 libraries that the LINX VIs call also require the mega definition.

I was hoping that I would be able to adjust the board files to change this requirement/definition, but I was unsuccessful in my attempts to do so. So unfortunately for now the result is that the WS2812 VIs are incompatible with the Max32. The libraries themselves are compatible with it through the Arduino IDE though.

Thanks,
JColvin

I know this is an older topic but I've run across the same problem trying to drive a WS2812 with Labview.

It was especially frustrating that the WS2812 Open VI says you can use a Max32 for this. Has a workaround been found?

I've also tried this with an Arduino Mega as is suggested but that kicks back the same error.